60Hz vs 120hz vs 144hz for gaming?

djjordand6

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have decided to get a new monitor. My friends suggested a 120hz monitor and one even said to get a 144hz monitor. What is the actual difference??

I am planning to play games like CSGO, not many AAA games.

My PC:

HP P6-2475ea

I am going to upgrade my PSU and GPU to:

EVGA GTX 750ti
Corsair CX600

So, one question remains. What is the difference?

Solution
A fast 120/144Hz monitor will display new frames more quickly than a 60Hz. As such it greatly reduces the chances of the screen not accurately displaying what you are actually aiming at in the game.

Also with a high refresh rate, screen tearing is nowhere as bad, which is a very bad thing in CS.
A fast 120/144Hz monitor will display new frames more quickly than a 60Hz. As such it greatly reduces the chances of the screen not accurately displaying what you are actually aiming at in the game.

Also with a high refresh rate, screen tearing is nowhere as bad, which is a very bad thing in CS.

Solution

Computersloeber

Distinguished
The difference is that 120 and 144 Hz monitors support a high framerate output by your GPU. So say your GPU produces 80FPS you will be able to see all of the frames on a 120 or 144Hz (Hz means images per second) monitor. But on a 60Hz monitor you would waste 20 frames because the refresh rate of the monitor is too slow to show them. Now i think with a Gtx 760ti you don't need an 120 or 144 Hz monitor, because that card just isn't powerfull enough to get a high framerate on most games. I would only buy a 120 or 144Hz monitor if you have powerfull hardware, but thats just my opinion.

djjordand6

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Great, could you recommend me any??

djjordand6

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

My currency is GBP (Great British Pound)

My budget is less than £200, so that i have some money to upgrade my RAM a little too.

Ever since 144Hz came out, every manufacturer that makes gaming monitors have seemed to decided that they either meet or beat 144Hz. Because just like phone screen resolutions, flaunting bigger numbers just sells.

120Hz screens are a lot harder to find these days. But they are not necessarily any cheaper.

djjordand6

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Wow. I had my eye on this BenQ one.

This is a big misconception most people have with refresh rates and FPS. If you are rendering more FPS than your refresh rate, the monitor still shows all of them, it's just that you only end up seeing part of each. 120 FPS on a 60hz monitor, will display all 120 frames per second, but you'll only see half of each frame displayed on average, with a tear between them (the change from 1 frame to the next causes the two images to not line up which looks like a tear).

As mentioned before, one of the best things about a 120+hz monitor is it reduces how noticeable tearing is. I forgot how bad tearing was with a 60hz monitor until I started playing DA: Inquisition after a driver update that ended up setting my hz back to 60 without me realizing. Once I started playing, it was very distracting until I realized what the cause was and I switched it back to 120hz.

If you use V-sync, then you end up with a FPS cap at your refresh rate, so your GPU will only be able to generate 60 FPS if you have a 60hz monitor, and 120 FPS with a 120hz monitor. As far as 120hz versus 144hz, that is mostly just a matter of the old versus the new monitors. All the new high refresh monitors are doing 144hz now. The older models are 120hz. 144hz is better, but barely. Most people won't notice a difference, and if you use ULMB or Lightboost for low persistence and motion blur, 120hz is the highest you can go anyways.