Two different system build options - need advice helping decide which

Sihoiba

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
So I've set myself a budget of around ~£1500-1600, though I'm happy to spend less.

This is complete new system build, as I'm giving my current PC in total to my wife.

I've tended to go near top end of previous tech, trying to stay behind the early adopter price hike point. Having said that once I've bought it I'm likely to upgrade it much and want it to handle games nicely for the next 5-6 years (for reference my current PC is a Q6600 Geforce 8800 GTX, which other than a GPU upgrade to a 470 when the first one developed a fault ~ 3years in, has pretty much happily run games for the last 6 years, and is still basically fine - hence giving it to my wife). What I will do is replace things as required, an I see value in having flexibility of choice when that happens (had a previous situation years ago where I was limited by graphics cards to AGP slots, had very little choice, only to have the PC die 6 months later leaving me with a new graphics card that didn't fit anything on sale).

I'm currently torn between either of these two builds:
1150 socket http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sihoiba/saved/RTHnTW
2011 socket http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sihoiba/saved/Jf8xFT

With the latter being about another £190 more, approximately £90 on the ram, and £45-£50 each on the CPU and MB.

Help/advice would be appreciated, particularly:
- What performance difference will I see between the two?
- Should I realistically have any concerns over getting replacement parts in 3-4 years should something break in the 1050?
- Is there anything obviously wrong/suboptimal in those builds choices?

Thanks for the help.

random5

Distinguished
Happy to spend less? Don't get 2X large SSDs+ HDD.. rather get single small SSD+ HDD, Get lower MHz RAM,could save you some buck, toss out W8.1 we all know how terrible it is, get a 80+ bronze XFX PSU instead of something similar

MSi motherboard packs more features and less stability [once it runs for few weeks and You tune her up, You're good to go - and it's stable like hell], Asus packs less OCability, more stability out of the box and in general, but much less features.

I personally hit the first one, but both are great. Have You considered Intel 530 240 GB for OS and Crucial for "game storage", or Samsung 500 GB for storage? Or Mushkin Chronos DX for OS?