Understanding Socket and How Speed Relates to More Cores

Juniper Mucius

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hi everyone! I am a little embarrassed to not understand this, given that I've had my own custom built PC since early 2011.

Basically, I am looking to upgrade my CPU again. Currently I have an i5 3.5 quad-core processor with 4 threads. LGA 1155, i5 3570K.

I understand that 2011 socket is better than 1150 socket. But I'm trying to figure out what I should go with now for the purpose of gaming.

The only six-core processors I see that I can afford at the moment go up to 3.5Ghz. There is a quad-core processor that is an i7 4.0Ghz with 8 threads.

For the purpose of gaming, should I buy this instead? Or would getting the six-core 3.5Ghz last me longer?

The reason I'm wondering this is because, if a game calls for "3.6Ghz quad-core," will my 3.5Ghz six-core be better than that? Or would I suffer because, while I have more cores than needed, they are .1Ghz slower than what is needed to play the game?

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Alot of games do not take full advantage of more than 4 cores on a intel cpu , so if you installeded a 6 core, you would not see much difference and if you did it would be very slim , so for the cost . it is not really worth it . The only time a 6 core comes in handy is if you are doing video rendering , it will get the video files done faster. In the end it all depends on what you do , in your case having a quad core @3.6ghz is just fine. multi threading dose not effect game performance. You might say "well wait a min, how come amd cpu have 8 cores " The fact is , amd dose not have 8 cores, its a 4 core that splits each into to , thay can not call it "hyperthreading" because that is an intel patent technology. So they market it as a 8 core . So if a game calls for a quad 3.6 and you have a 3.5 , its not much difference . In your case if you want better performance , I would not worry about the cpu, focus on your gpu instead. If you look at my specs , you will see I have an older quadcore over clocked , with the gpu I have I get great frame rates on most games. for example I can play BF4 on high settings and high resolution and I get between 80 to 140 fps . If I wanted to shoot for better fps rates, I would get a better gpu .

Juniper Mucius

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks. I will focus more on upgrading from my HD 7850 right now then.

I guess I'm looking at games like Unity and Watch_Dogs, where the recommended was 3.4/3.5 i7 that has 8 threads. Though I look at other games like Far Cry 4 and Inquisition that I want to play more, and my computer, even with my current HD 7850, are more than enough.

I read somewhere though that since games are requiring more cores now...would moving to AMD be a good idea in the future? Especially with a smaller budget? I don't need a super computer, I just would like to play most games on high or max.

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Look at the benchmarks for a intel 4 core vs a amd 8 core . In some games amd dose better , but not by much. Amd is a good choice if you dont want to spend the extra on a intel

Juniper Mucius

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Sorry Slavegamer, I didn't see your reply until after I posted.

Thank you for that information! I'll save the money I was going to use on upgrading my CPU and Motherboard, and spend it instead on buying a far better GPU than I had intended (or possibly two and run Crossfire/SLI).

mlga91

Admirable

Yeah, a GPU upgrade will give you better results, modern games dont even use 4 threads efficiently, let alone 8.

Juniper Mucius

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys.

I am looking at getting the Geforce 970. I'll probably get it Wednesday since the ASUS one runs for 329, plus I can get Unity or Far Cry 4 with it. So that's a good deal (in fact, that's how I got Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, and BioShock Infinite, was buying two Radeon HD 7850's).

Then next paycheck I might buy a second 970, which will give me 8GB of GDDR5, which will make my computer fairly more powerful than a PS4, which will be useful for this next generation and I won't have to hopefully upgrade for a couple of years (my GPU's at least).

Ht does affect performance but this depends on how many threads the cpu has and how many the game uses. Let's say a game uses 3 then a dual core with ht will benefit over one without. Amd does have 8 cores. It's more of an in between of ht and doubling all resources but it's separate enough to be called their own core. It's a lot different than ht.

TRENDING THREADS