Cannot delete or rename files

Status
Not open for further replies.

viciii3

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
I just upgraded to window 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have 4 hard drives in this system. As an example of the problem...I can create a "new folder" on one of these drives, but it becomes named "New Folder"...I cannot rename this folder or delete it once it is created. I get no error messages at all when trying to rename or delete this folder, unlike the "file is in use" errors I've seen here and elsewhere. In my case...nothing happens at all, if trying to rename I hit "enter" after changing the name...nothing. If trying to delete, windows asks for confirmation that I want to delete the folder to the recycle bin, I click yes and absolutely nothing happens...the folder remains.

I must admit, at this point, that I find Windows 7 a complete annoyance and very much miss my old XP.

viciii3

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Yes sir. I updated this thread to reflect my attempts in Safe Mode...but that has been deleted for some reason ( I wish I was informed why)? It did not work in safe mode...it acted exactly as before...can't rename or delete this folder.

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Right click the folder and select properties, select security. select your user account and edit the permissions to allow all

you can also do the same for each hard drive , from there you should be able to do what you like. Sounds like when you installed windows you did not assign your user name as the administrator . I think you can change this in control pannel , user accounts . select your user account name and assign it as admin, make sure the admin options are set to allow all

viciii3

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Actually Slavegamer when I installed I did assign myself as an administrator...and I still show as such and I'm the only user. I have been working with the security settings for the drives for 2 days...I have to tell you that the entire security thing needs a decoder ring? I have given myself full permissions several times, with no luck. Still hammering away at it though. I did delete the E drive partition, formatted it and created a new partition (as I have done several times before). This time it has allowed me to create, rename or delete a folder. Interestingly enough, I do not show a "System Volume Information" folder on that drive after the format? Weird.

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
I had a similar problem with win7 , I had set it up with my user account as admin . I still could not delete files and such, I found that the admin permissions where not on full control, that fixed my problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.