No signal to monitor after booting (sometimes)

emsi

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Hi. I have a problem with my PC. It's a new one, I assembled it myself, but it was my first time assembling a PC, so maybe i did something wrong.
The problem is when i power it on, it sometimes works well and sometimes i get "no signal" on my monitor. The strange part is it loses signal just before the time when windows login screen should appear. Monitor displays BIOS window every time, i can enter BIOS and check/change settings without any problems, but when i want to run windows, it's about 50% chance it won't work. I've just installed the system, so i didn't do much testing, but i ran 3D mark without any issues - no resets, temps ok, etc. so i think my power supply is working well.
I tested on 2 monitors (both working well with my laptop), using DisplayPort and HDMI

Components:
Proc: Intel i5 4690K
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 970
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB 2133 MHz
Power supply: Cooler Master G550M 550W
Crucial 256GB SSD + Seagate 1TB HDD (system is on SSD)

Please help me.
Mat

Your installation may be missing the propper video and/or chipset drivers... If you haven't installed drivers from the GTX 970 and Motherboard disks, those drivers are vital for good performance... so, install mainly the chipset and GPU drivers. And if you did install them,.. System files may be missing or corrupted, so use the Windows DVD to repair system files with SFC /Scannow (System File checker). Follow the detailed instructions in the first link (second link for pictures), and if the scan doesn't start due to Windows Resource Protection, see the lower article for instructions on running SFC /Scannow in Safe Mode or from the Windows DVD.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Run System File Checker in Safe Mode or at Boot Time on Windows 7 | 8
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/run-system-file-checker-safe-mode-boot-time

emsi

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I have latest Motherboard and Graphics drivers. I checked with System File Checker, but it didn't find anything. I disassembled whole PC and assembled again, watching for loose cables, etc. and i thought it worked (couple of successful startups), but the problem reappeared. I assumed that it was display problem, but maybe system is not starting after all? I found a little display on my motherboard. When system was running there were 27 and 28 or 45/46 codes (all meaning "Early Memory Initialization" according to MSI manual). However when the problem occurred, there were 31/32 codes (switching every couple of seconds). 31 is "Early Memory Initialization", but 32 is "Early CPU Initialization". I only checked this once, so these codes may just be a coincidence, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

My friend advised me to swap RAM (i mean they're still in Slot 2 and Slot 4 (as described in Motherboard user guide), but this time i ensured that in Slot 2 lays the stick with lower serial number. It's working so far, but i can't be sure it's the solution - after reassembling the PC i tried 5 or 6 reboots (i shut it down, wait ~30sec and power back on) and all worked, but then i left it and when i got back i tried to turn it on and the problem reappeared.

"Code 31 Early Memory Initialization" may be related to faulty memory installation... try pushing it in the slot with moderate force so it seats fully in the slot. Just a very small space (a few thousands of inch) can cause issues. Slots 2 and 4 are correct as suggested in the mobo specs. So just make sure the modules go in all the way and the clips click into place by themselves. Remove the RAM so you can install them correctly: Place each module on the slot and pushing from both ends, lightly on one side and harder on the other till the locking clips "click" into place, then do the other side.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1748673/motherboard-cpu-boot-msi-z87-gd65-4670k-bad-motherboard.html

"Code 32 Early CPU Initialization" may be related to an outdated BIOS, the RAM installation, and/or lose PSU connections. Check that all PSU connections are inserted all the way in... and check the BIOS version and date with HWiNFO
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2200364/msi-z97-gaming-post-issues.html
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

The main cause I can perceive is the Power settings configuration. If the issue appears only after comming out of Sleep Mode, it is probably related. Try using a different Power Plan... if you are using the 'Power Saver" plan, use the "Balanced" plan and if this is the one you are using, use the "High Performance" plan, this plan should work but you may want to create a new Power Plan based on the Balanced plan (to save some power and preserve your hardware), and cofigure it as necessary so the system comes out of Sleep Mode every time. You may also want to lighten the load on the power plan by disabling Startup programs (Start\type: MSCONFIG \ press Enter \ Startup tab \ uncheck program that don't have to startup with Windows or most all of them, except the antivirus. Next on the Services tab, disable third party programs services, except the antivirus service/s).

emsi

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I swapped the RAM sticks, made sure that they are inserted properly. I checked all PSU connectors yet again, updated BIOS to new version and it seemed to be fine, but today it happened again. I have a new working theory that it's occurring on Cold Boot (when computer is turned off for ~1h). When it "warms up" i can turn it off and back on multiple times and it's always loading perfectly (but that's just the working theory - will test again today after work). I checked the motherboard display and when system is running normally, display shows many different codes, but all in "Early Memory Initialization" category (sometimes these are 27-28, sometimes 46-47). When the boot problem occurs, codes keep switching between "Early Memory Initialization" and "Early CPU Initialization (31-32). I confirmed it second time, will check again after work.

I've read about similar issues and people say it may be the PSU's fault. If that's the case, will i get no problems with warranty? Since it only happens occasionally (or after it has cooled down - but that's just the working theory for now), can they just send it back and say "we didn't find anything wrong with it"? If not PSU, then what? Motherboard?

I didn't change anything with Windows Power settings yet, but i'm not sure if i should - this is a brand new gaming PC and if some part isn't working exactly as fast/reliable as it should, i'd rather have it replaced than babysitting it. However i will try that later if it can help with diagnostics.

I don't think the PSU has anything to do with it this early... (It is new isn't it?). Sounds more like Power Options settings or a monitor issue... is it also new?.

Is the "No signal" a) message on the monitor or b) the way you describe it?...
If a message on the monitor: could be a GPU issue... driver issue or monitor age damage (e.g: bad caps)
If it's your description; could be possibly GPU issue, driver issue, power setting.

emsi

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I tested it all day. Started from removing BIOS battery, than changed power options, swapped RAM, moved graphics card to another PCI-E socket. No results. But then I borrowed PSU from my friend and was able to run 3 successfull boots without error occurring. I didn't have time to test more, because my friend wanted his PSU back, but each test consisted of ~10-15 min "cold time" (computer off with PSU disconnected) and then boot and check. With my PSU it was almost 100% chance of failure (checked the same sequence while messing with RAM/PCI-E/Power Options and it almost never booted properly the first time after "cold time").
I filed an rma request and if everything goes well I expect to receive new PSU next week. I will test it and post if it works. Just in case someone else was having the same problem.

Thanks for all the help :)

TRENDING THREADS