SOLVED-Monitor won't wake up from sleep

Here_to_lern

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I may be posting this incorrectly. If so forgive me. I have spent countless hours tracking this down and wanted to post the solution for others to find.

First the symptoms. On occasion my monitor would not awaken from sleep mode. Neither the mouse nor KB did the trick. Only thru repeated pounding on a key would it wake up, or a reboot. Over time the frequency increased until one day nothing worked. I switched from DVI to VGA and got a response...for a few days. Back to same place until finally, nothing. Switched to onboard graphics. No joy. To clarify, at all times I had a blinking light on the monitor, the same one you get when the system is asleep. The computer was fully awakened by the KB/mouse, as evidenced by the fan and HD activity.

I have intentionally omitted naming equipment. My search found this issue for numerous computer and monitor brands, for almost every OS, and both ATI and Nvidia vid cards. The reason is because the problem is generic. And, while I realize these symptoms may have numerous other causes, I found none (apologies to anyone who did) specifically suggesting mine.

I've experienced failed power supplies before, but my monitor always showed power and performed flawlessly once awake. Had it shown no lights, it would have been my first guess.Only after a process of elimination did I decide to crack (literally) the case open and look at the power supply. Sure enough 2 bad caps. $2 later and all was well.

Before you start cracking the cases on your monitors, I would suggest you try another monitor (TV) if available. Trying your monitor on another system would help, but as the issue is intermittent in the early stages, it would not be as conclusive (unless it fails). If the second monitor works, you might consider taking a peek inside, Puffed capacitors are easy to spot.