Athlon x2 64 3800+: How Does It Hold Up Today?

Chester Buttbeard

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
(skip to next paragraph if you don't wanna read about my blessing from Lord Gaben) About last week after I build my first computer, I realized I should've spent a little more and got a hardrive because my SSD had 3 games and was pretty much full. I realized I didn't really have any options because I was broke and the holidays are a little while away. It was only until a few days ago I came across an old PC in someone's junk that had a working 500gb hardrive..OMG

On a Friday, I was walking home from the school bus and I stumbled upon an old desktop in someone's garbage. It seemed pretty beat up, but I took it home plugged it in and wasn't even broken! I cracked it open and found a couple hardrives, 4 gigs of ddr2 and an AMD Athlon x2 64 3800+ processor.
I'm thinking that I could turn this machine into a gaming capable computer running SteamOS or Linux if I added a low profile graphics card. However, I'm not too sure about the performance of the CPU, could it handle Minecraft or aged games without bottleneck or performance issues?

For old games and games that do not have very high requirements the Athlon X2 64 3800+ should still be good enough. You should have no problems with minecraft if you toss in a decent enough graphics card. I am sure it can even run the Sims 4. Also many MMOs should be playable since F2P MMOs tries to keep requirements very low to have a large player base.

Chester Buttbeard

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Thank you very much for the info. I'll probably install a GT 610 and run SteamOS off :)

I would shoot for something better than a GT 610 like the following GT 630 and costs about the same as some GT 610 I have seen when just doing a quick search. Just make sure the motherboard has a PCI-e port rather than an AGP port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500346&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814500346&gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zA2QwXunaBo4-Kb7swAiIf6O6kAqRjbwSBJthStatMEaApNo8P8HAQ

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I have a spare pc with the athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3ghz dual core, yours is the 2ghz version. Mine is very capable even still. I played Crysis 2 and Dead Space on very high graphics with a 512mb gddr5 hd 5670 gpu and 3gb ram(now upgraded to 4gb) and it was very smooth. It still pretty much meets or beats the requirements of ~90% of games ever made.

My friend has either the 3800 or 4000 athlon x2 and he has a 1gb ddr3 hd 6670 and he can play most games with me fine on high settings he says. It ran bf3 multiplayer horrible though, he said the single player was decent. Basically any older title it should run decently. He plays Diablo 3 and Insurgency and MW3 with me frequently and he never complains on high settings of it being unplayable.

I wouldn't try to run any modern titles on multiplayer though....it would choke in bf3/bf4 for example.

For giggles, I want to download bf4 on my 6000+ athlon x2 and see how it runs haha