Switch to use 1 monitor with both Win 7 & XP... does anyone make that?

JerseyJeanie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I have 2 old computers... one a notebook is Windows 7 and the other is an old desktop with XP. I would like to switch my 27" flat screen between computers as needed. I checked with TrippLite and they don't make anything like that. Does anyone have any ideas? BTW... I am looking for and external box (just in case anyone wants to know). Thank you for your help! Jeanie

Solution
I have dell monitors at work and asus at home. If you hook your windows 7 computer up with the DVI cable and the XP up with a vga cable to the same monitor you can go into the monitor settings and chose which display to activate. Choosing one or the other display will give you one computer or the other.

The only issue with that is you will need to keep a KB & mouse on your desk for each computer or have to swap them between each computer hen you want to use one.

The kvm switch is very easy, just plug everything in and then normally is hit the page down button twice and it will switch from one computer to the other. We use a few of them at work in our cad department.

The only issue with using the monitor to change between computers is you will need to move the mouse and keyboard or keep two of each on the desktop to control each machine.

JerseyJeanie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

I all ready have a HP 27" monitor so buying a new one ain't gonna happen... But thanks for your input.

I have dell monitors at work and asus at home. If you hook your windows 7 computer up with the DVI cable and the XP up with a vga cable to the same monitor you can go into the monitor settings and chose which display to activate. Choosing one or the other display will give you one computer or the other.

The only issue with that is you will need to keep a KB & mouse on your desk for each computer or have to swap them between each computer hen you want to use one.

The kvm switch is very easy, just plug everything in and then normally is hit the page down button twice and it will switch from one computer to the other. We use a few of them at work in our cad department.

Solution

JerseyJeanie

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I have a notebook which has it's own keyboard & mouse and a separate mouse & keyboard for the desktop. The monitor has outlets for both HDMI & VGA. I have the cables. All I want is a simple A-B style switch box that will select one or the other computer to be using the monitor... nothing complicated... I will look at the KVM site but it seems like they want to sell lots of cables to jack up the price. Sigh. Maybe what I need isn't made.