Gaming PC monitor advice?

MatticusMoore

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
I am going out of my mind looking at which monitor to get for my first gaming pc. Seriously. Let me start off by posting the specs of my pc: Intel Core i5 4690 (3.5ghz), 16GB DDR3 1333mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB, 650W Corsair VS.

Now, I ve been debating over and over in my head. TN vs IPS. Now speed is important to me as I don t want ghosting (I can deal with a little but not loads). This means TN is a strong choice with 120hz. But I like the vivid colours of the IPS monitors but they only have 60hz. Now i heard that NVIDIA cards let you overclock the refresh rate but it depends on your monitor (I ve seen some people managed to get an IPS monitor up to 75/80hz). So, are there any IPS monitors that you know can 100% be overlocked? Are TN monitor really THAT bad, because people seem to think they are awful? Is there a happy medium between the colours and viewing angles of IPS and the refresh rate of the TN?

Some games I plan to play are: DayZ, Battlefield, The Forest, League of Legends/DOTA 2, Smite, The Witcher, Half Life and loads more.

I'm in the UK and I'm looking to spend £250 maximum. I like the look of the Eizo gaming monitor but its a bit too expensive.

Please I need suggestions before I pull my brain out of my eye socket. I m going crazy. If you find any suitable monitor then please list them below in the comments, or if you yourself have a really monitor and recommend it, then please list it.

Solution
A premium grade TN screen can sometimes look better than some VA panels I've seen. I have a benq TN screen and it has beautiful color. I also have my IPS screen on the side for more color critical applications. The annoying thing about TN is the off angle viewing sometimes when you lean back in the chair and the image quality will completely change, where as I can view my IPS screen from any point in my room and the picture stays rather consistent. 144hz TN screens are very fun to PC game with, even more so than any IPS screen, unless that were to be 144hz as well. :)

Verdict: A TN screen with good implementation will give impressing results, (macbooks are a good example of this) Viewing angles are going to be the weakest point of TN...

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
A premium grade TN screen can sometimes look better than some VA panels I've seen. I have a benq TN screen and it has beautiful color. I also have my IPS screen on the side for more color critical applications. The annoying thing about TN is the off angle viewing sometimes when you lean back in the chair and the image quality will completely change, where as I can view my IPS screen from any point in my room and the picture stays rather consistent. 144hz TN screens are very fun to PC game with, even more so than any IPS screen, unless that were to be 144hz as well. :)

Verdict: A TN screen with good implementation will give impressing results, (macbooks are a good example of this) Viewing angles are going to be the weakest point of TN though, but is not noticeable on screen sizes from 21"-24".

The two monitors I use:
BenQ XL2411Z 1920x1080/144Hz [TN] -use it for PC+PS4 Gaming.

Yamakasi Q270 2560x1440/90Hz [S-IPS] -use it for Movies, Photoshop, and Web Browsing.

Solution