120/144Hz Won't work with DVI Dual Link Cable...

Craig Etheridge

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
Hi,
I recently purchased a new monitor (AOC G2460PQU) to hook up to my R9 290 @ either 120Hz or 144Hz but none seem to want to work, I've tried pretty much all Catalysts drivers with no success. Both 120 and 144Hz are showing up in the drop down box but when I try to apply any of them my screen goes all pixelated and the colour fades.
I'm currently using the cable supplied with the monitor which is a DVI Dual Link cable on paper they should work, If anyone could tell me a possible solution I'd very much appreciate it. I was thinking of using DisplayPort instead but I have a feeling I am just going to get the same results. :(

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Dual Link DVI should be able to support higher resolutions and more than 60 Hz refresh rates. Strange though that it isn't working. Could it be that the DVI port you plugged into is not the right one. I heard stories where it was either the top or bottom one that supported dual link though I do not know if this is true since it would be really weird if manufacturers did that for their video cards.

Craig Etheridge

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
Also, When I open up games the screen goes RED and the colour fades and that's even at 60Hz although, when I use HDMI on my TV it works absolutely fine.

What could possible be the problem?

Someone please help :(

Craig Etheridge

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
Yep, I tried it in both with the same results, My last option is to try a DisplayPort cable, if that doesn't work then I'm pretty much screwed because I'm struggling to find another solution at the minute.

Many cards have two DVI connectors but only one of them supports dual-link.
If this was the problem though, you simply wouldn't be able to select the higher refresh rate.
The issue here is that the computer is detecting a dual-link capable device, but the cable is causing video artifacts.
The pins are all connected, but there is interference between the pairs or they simply can't carry the required signal reliably.

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Possibly the DVI cable is bad? If not, a bad DVI connector on either the monitor or graphics card. Some tedious trial and error though.

I remember I had an issue with my display port cable and I narrowed it down to a bad display port cable.