budget gaming builds... fm2+ vs. am3+

iron8orn

Admirable
So what I am wondering here is why so many people are still recommending a FX 6300 with the release of the Athlon X4 860k

There are obvious factors at play here like the Athlon is a newer manufacturing process with better ipc but with less oc headroom.
The 6300 has 2 more threads and high oc headroom.
The am3+ is called a dead platform while AMD continues innovation on the fm2+ so the availability of a upgrade seems likely to me if a gamer is pointed toward a fm2+ motherboard.
I would also like opinions on the highest level of gpu to recommend for each cpu, each one should be able to reach 4.4ghz with a Hyper 212 EVO so I think the oc headroom of the 32nm SOI is off the table.

For gaming both cpu's won't have much difference if any at all when coupled to the same gpu, since most games utilize 1-2 cores, with a few exceptions utilizing 4. The FX will have an advantage at multitasking because of the extra 2 cores, also it will reach higher mhz at overclocking. Also the FX line is considered more the high-end platform of AMD. I don't think am3 is dead, at least not for a while. They still offer a good bang for your buck and perform well for their price.
Both cpu's could run up to GTX 970/r9 290 without (much) bottlenecking, given you don't run high resolutions, up to 1080p it will be fine in most games.