Asus ROG Swift, a few Questions - November 2014

Razoir

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Hey everyone, recently i've been working on my new build. As this is my first one, i wasn't sure which monitor to get. I had settled on the Asus Swift ROG screen because i believe it was the best i could have gotten for gaming. ( you can find my build here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kwZmQ7 )

However, peoples have been telling me that, while this monitor is excellent, it is solely good for gaming. This computer will be my main and only one with whom i'll also draw, animate and do a bit of 3D modeling. ( but mainly gaming because i also have the Wacom Cintiq Companion )

It made me think about it and a ton of questions arose :

- Do you think it's a bad idea to not worry about it and take the Asus ROG swift ?
- Do you think investing such money in a monitor is necessary ? ( Knowing i very rarely play FPS and never competitively )
- Do you think G-sync is really incredible even for a non-FPS player ? Do you see the difference even if you are not a competitive player ?
- Will games like "The Witcher III" or "FFXIV : A realm Reborn" suffer from having the Asus Swift ROG because they don't need to be at super fluid FPS but have beautiful graphics ?
- Do my screen quality matters for games like "The Binding of Isaac" or "Starbound" ?
And so the logical final one : "Do you have an idea for a better monitor suiting my needs ? "

I'd be really glad if you could answer some of my questions ! That would really help me, thanks a lot ;p !

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hi.

I believe that monitor is oustanding. One friend of mine bought one recently and he is in love with it. It has a lot of options, a great resolution and his best caracteristic is having a refresh capability great for that resolution. Best monitor for gaming... I think I'll buy one.

Said that:
- G-Sync I think is something really interesting for games, if you are gonna use it for work you wont notice.
- 144HZ and refresh rate... the same, useful for gaming or seeing things that move fast.
- This monitor worst thing is color quality and thats something bad to work if you want to see 3D colourful models or renders.(TN panel)
- Having that huge resolution will demand much more graphic card... Today you may not notice much but in a couple of years you will need another graphic card.
- You will see Witcher 3 more fluent, and with great resolution, the price will be colors quality.

I think you should decide if you want to buy a gammer monitor or not. Its that easy. If you are going to use it for work or playing "The Binding of Isaac" save your money this monitor is to play Battlefields, Witchers, etc... otherwise you will spend a lot of money and will not see much improvement.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For the price you can get a similar sized and resolution IPS monitor for good color reproduction. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht

G-Sync will be noticeable in any full screen rendering, but you don't need it for 3D modeling.

It is pretty much made for any game that involves fast movement. If you don't play them I would say this monitor is a poor investment.

I also hate to say this, but a single GTX970 is not enough to push 144 FPS in a lot of modern games at 2560x1440. You can always upgrade that later, though the nice part of G-Sync is that it can run the refresh rate lower to match the capabilities of the computer.

Aaron Chavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I own this monitor and I must say, with that Gsync ability it has, makes gaming flawless, which is why I chose to buy this monitor, if not I would not spend almost $800 for a monitor, and would go with a $500 144hz

Razoir

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
silnox - I see, thanks a lot for your clear answer. I'll be mainly playing on that monitor so i guess it's a good investment. If it even matters for games like "The Witcher III" or "FFXIV" then i won't hesitate. However, i'm still not sure if it's necessary for a non frequent FPS player like me as Eximo said below you.

Eximo - I will very very rarely model in 3D. So don't worry about that. I didn't know my GTX970 couldn't push the games so high so it's good i now know it ! However, i really hate benQ so if possible i'd like to use a monitor from someone else. I will rarely play games that involve fast movement ( bit i'll still play them ) or at least not competively. Are you sure, however, that G-sync will not be useful in a game like "The Witcher III" ?

Aaron Chavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I get no screen tearing, running BF4 at 84fps, for some reason that game does not like to go above 100. Most games will not go past that, but still alot do. Every game ive played so far though, has had no screen tear, and I use the evga gtx 970 ftw. So I do for quality gaming believe spending that extra cash is worth it.