Which cpu shall i get (budget £120)

G

I'm currently about to make a new computer and i was having trouble selecting a new CPU.

My friend(s) keep on telling me to get the i5 2500k from Intel which is around £150-£170
I was wondering if i will really need this for my new computer as i will only be running a few games(such as BF3) and for general use.
The graphics card ill be getting will either be the 6870 or gt560 ti .
I would also like to be able to run most games on medium/high settings with a decent fps.
So is it worth me getting the i5 2500k or getting a CPU such as the AMD Phenom II X4 965 which is around £75
I'll want the computer to be able to last me 2 years or so.
Cheers Hugh

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I own the phenom II X4 955 Black edition(which is almost equal to the 965) and I can tell you its quite good for its price/performance ratio however I will admit that the i5 2500k is the better cpu. You can play Battlefield 3 on high with the phenom x4 965 with frame rates of 30+ which is playable. It will be beneficial if you overclock the phenom a bit to help out with the performance of games. Also for your video card I would go with the hd 6870, I have had a better experience using amd cpus and ati video cards. The 6870 and gtx 560 ti are pretty close together in games. Lastly, and an important question what resolution will you be playing at (monitor resolution) the smaller it is the more it becomes dependent on the cpu.

I'd recommend the 2500k, it will last longer and give you real good performance and overclock-ability.

The price isn't that much higher, and AMD processors are terrible now compared to Intel. The 2500k will probably last you the next 3 years if overclocked too.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

intel are better but will he have to overclock the 8 core?

socialfox

Distinguished
The Intel 2500k puts the FX-8120 to shame (even though I am an AMD fan), in terms of gaming the 2500k wins and pretty much everything except heavy rendering. Fact is the reason I told you to get the phenom or the 2500k is that modern games only use 2-4 cores, and even if they use 4 cores they dont use it well. In general, stay away from the FX series which was a complete fail, the older Phenom II's have beaten the FX series in several benchmarks so technically the FX series is a step down from where AMD was previously.