Is the MicroCenter Extended Warranty worth it?

chaosorochi

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
I live like 30 minutes away from Microcenter so its not that far for me. I was thinking of getting their mobo/processor deal as its their black Friday deal(http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/29c358a7#/29c358a7/33) which I plan to get the:

Intel i5-4960k (179.99): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Asus z97-AR (99.99): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97ar

And maybe a Graphics card depending on their deals but does anybody have experience with their extended warranty and is it worth it? Do you get any trouble? Is it a rip off?

Solution
I picked up that same combo last night from the MC in Fairfax, VA. I opted to get the i7-4790k though, but the same mobo. :) The blue ASRock would have been nice, but there are reports of it being bugged when power is removed from your pc.

In any case, I was wondering the same as the OP. I purchased the warranty on the mobo because it was $10, but chose not to on the CPU due to it being $30. The part that I thought was interesting was that you also have the option of replacing the part for any reason for 2 years and upgrading. I need to look up the details, but if I purchased a GPU, the logic dictates that I could buy the warranty and return it in 2 years to pick up a then-top of the line GPU. The question is, would my old GPU be...

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
It's extra money, and it may not be much better than the warranties that come with the parts from the manufacturers. If you prefer the peace of mind, by all means, get it, but know what it covers and what it doesn't cover.

chaosorochi

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

I was hoping if anybody had experience with MicroCenter before about their extended warranty and such. Most of the complaints and such I have heard about are from people who buy it online and such usually some kind of phone support not being good. But I was hoping fi anybody had experience in buying parts and such from them.

chaosorochi

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Its alright, I know its not exactly everywhere but $80 dollars off is a good deal I was just wondering since I read a few reviews online of bad things happening as I bought a few things there but nothing over $50 dollars and since I'm building my first Build I just want to be sure.

hardcoredrrk

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I picked up that same combo last night from the MC in Fairfax, VA. I opted to get the i7-4790k though, but the same mobo. :) The blue ASRock would have been nice, but there are reports of it being bugged when power is removed from your pc.

In any case, I was wondering the same as the OP. I purchased the warranty on the mobo because it was $10, but chose not to on the CPU due to it being $30. The part that I thought was interesting was that you also have the option of replacing the part for any reason for 2 years and upgrading. I need to look up the details, but if I purchased a GPU, the logic dictates that I could buy the warranty and return it in 2 years to pick up a then-top of the line GPU. The question is, would my old GPU be worth the depreciated value or the price I originally purchase it for?

Paying something around $40 for a GPU warranty that gives you peace of mind AND the ability to upgrade 2 years down the road for a bit, seems pretty nice. You could have a current gen PC all the time...

Chime in if I'm incorrect in some manner.

Solution