120FPS on a 60Hz Monitor

byakuya000

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
If a game is running on Ultra Settings, 1920x1080, at 120FPS or more, with or without AA, is a 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, 5ms response time(GtG) Monitor good for it?

If so, which of these would you recommend
ASUS VX239H - http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VX239H/
LG 23EA53V-P - http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23EA53V-P-led-monitor
LG 23MP65HQ-P - http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23MP65HQ-P-led-monitor
Samsung S23C350H - http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS23C350HS/ZN

Solution
^ not exactly.

60hz can only show 60 complete frames, but if you are getting 120 FPS, you'll have 120 partial frames shown, with a tear line between each frame rendered.

You may also be shocked to learn, but tearing happens even with 30 FPS on a 60hz monitor. Funny thing, I was just playing Dragon Age Inquisition last night and today. I noticed all sorts of tearing, which was surprising, given I have a 120hz monitor. Well, I was getting between 40-60 FPS and my monitor was set at 60hz due to settings being reset after a driver update. The tearing was horrible, even with less than 60 FPS at 60hz. I switched to 120hz and the tearing was far less noticeable.

To the question above; 1ms response times is better to reduce motion blur...

mcle

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
a 60hz monitor can only show 60fps, if you get a lot more you will begin to get screen tearing, that said if you used v-sinc you could get 60 fps and i haven't found any problems with 60fps.

5ms is said to be fine and i reckon it would be but my asus vx238h is said to have 1ms response time. i would recommend the asus vx238h but other than that i don't know sorry

^ not exactly.

60hz can only show 60 complete frames, but if you are getting 120 FPS, you'll have 120 partial frames shown, with a tear line between each frame rendered.

You may also be shocked to learn, but tearing happens even with 30 FPS on a 60hz monitor. Funny thing, I was just playing Dragon Age Inquisition last night and today. I noticed all sorts of tearing, which was surprising, given I have a 120hz monitor. Well, I was getting between 40-60 FPS and my monitor was set at 60hz due to settings being reset after a driver update. The tearing was horrible, even with less than 60 FPS at 60hz. I switched to 120hz and the tearing was far less noticeable.

To the question above; 1ms response times is better to reduce motion blur, but at 60hz it isn't a huge deal to have 5ms, but at 120hz, that 5ms starts to make those 120 FPS less advantageous.

If you like to play at 120 FPS, I'd recommend getting a 120hz monitor with 1-2ms response times. 60hz just isn't great for high FPS gaming. Heck, 60hz just causes lots of noticeable tearing, regardless of FPS. If you turn on v-sync, you get lots of latency, if you turn it off, you get tearing galore. G-sync and 120/144hz is quite helpful

Solution

byakuya000

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014

Hi,

I'm quite new at this.
I tried using google to know what's the effect of latency and it only shows results about latency on Online Games and not on Single Player games.
Does it not affect Single Player games?

How do you turn on the V-Sync and G-Sync?

What other ways can you lower the FPS of a game?

Because I'm planning to buy this build

CPU: i5-4460 Haswell-R
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB Duall DDR3 1600 CL9
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB Sata
GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 970 EXOC Dual Fan 4GB/256bit DDR5

And the only monitors that fits my budget are those with 60Hz refresh rate.

well, at first i thought you have a rig that runs @120fps on ultra. sa good as your setup is, it will only take a while before you hit below 100. i have a friend with a 970 that cant maintain >60 on average on max settings playing inquisition.
so dont worry about it, just turn on or off vsync as needed

Latency is most noticeable with your mouse movements. As you move your mouse around, if you have high latency, your mouse seems to be sluggish, and always behind. With really low latency, you feel a lot more connected to your view. It just feels more right. For me, this goes a step further, and I'm not the only one; I get what feels like motion sickness when I have poor latency. I start to feel nauseated as a result.

V-sync is something that most games have an option to turn on or off, and Nvidia allows you to force it on in the control panel (I've hard AMD's Vsync forcing doesn't work anymore?). This will cap your FPS at your refresh rate, and remove tearing. If you are getting FPS at your refresh rate, you'll get more latency, and if you are below your refresh rate, you'll get judder/stutter.

G-sync requires a special monitor that supports it. This feature will remove tearing without the downsides of V-sync.

TRENDING THREADS