BIOS screen black boots to windows 8 ok though

mylesb

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Here's the Issue, I have a home built computer with the following components, Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 motherboard, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Video card, Asus 23.5" HDMI connected monitor (DVI same issue) as monitor 1 and a Proscan 19" TV hooked up with a DVI/VGA connector as monitor 2. When I boot up the computer I can't see the post screen on the main Asus monitor but it can be seen on the Proscan TV. I've had this problem with my old setup which had a asus motherboard, GTX 660 video card and the same 2 monitor setup but with a different monitor at the time. same issue then also. Prior to that I had an ATI 5750 card with no issues seeing the bios screen on the main monitor (DVI connection). Everything works fine and with windows being on an ssd it only takes a few seconds to boot but I would like to be able to access the bios without having to turn the TV into a second monitor, Any idea's why this is happening with the Nvidia card?

Solution

It's just the way the videocard BIOS selects the monitor. It makes that decision before the computer boots. It picks it's primary port first. Some cards display on all monitors, some cards on one. Some won't display on TV's at all and will only POST on monitors.

Nothing you can do.

It's just the way the videocard BIOS selects the monitor. It makes that decision before the computer boots. It picks it's primary port first. Some cards display on all monitors, some cards on one. Some won't display on TV's at all and will only POST on monitors.

Nothing you can do.

Solution