overclocking AMD FX-4130 Black Edition

matteo705

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi guys, I just recently OCed my XFX R9 280 and I realised that my processor doesnt catches up with my GPU, so I just wanted to check what could be ideal setup for OC'ing this processor to run more stressful games.

PC specs:
GPU: XFX R9 280 Black Double Dispassion Edition (OC'ed 1100mHz Core/1500mHz Memory)
CPU: AMD FX-4130 Black Edition
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8gb 1600mHz
CPU Cooler: Raijintek Themis (with 120mm fan)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

So I just want to be sure how further can I go without breaking it or damage it, and also how risky is it to unlock 2 more cores in it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If that processor has a couple disabled cores (I don't know if it does), it won't do any harm to unlock them and see if they are stable. Or even if one of them is. But unless the game you play is highly threaded, more cores may not be the answer.
To OC the FX CPU, enter BIOS and start increasing the CPU clock multiplier one click at a time. Save, exit BIOS, test it for stability while watching temps. If all is good, repeat. Eventually you will get to the point that it is unstable. You can either back off and live with that, or start increasing the vcore to see if that makes it stable again.