Is an Intel i5 4670 3.40GHz good enough to play most games on High-Ultra?

ChrisHague01

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi,
I trying to upgrade my computer and since I currently own AMD components, (they are pretty rubbish) I don't know much about Intel CPUs. I'm wondering if an Intel i5 4670 3.40GHz is good enough to play the most recent games (Dragon Age Inquisition, Far cry 4 etc) on High-Ultra settings. I currently own a AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB but I plan on upgrading to a GTX 970 4GB in the next few months since the AMD one is terrible and I also have 8GB of RAM. With those components combined, would it be a good enough set up for games for a good few years do you think? I'm wondering if it's better just to spend a bit more for an i7 but if possible I want to avoid that so I don't blow my budget.

Also, what socket type is this CPU because I need another motherboard to go with it. I know it's a LGA1150 socket but on overlockers there are 5 different types of those. Does it matter which type?

Thanks

voyboyfan

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
That CPU will do great. Yes, it's 1150 socket, and the chipset (type) you should aim for is either the H97 or Z97 - Z97 if you want to upgrade to a CPU that allows overclocking.