- First Build - $500 budget - For gaming - Medium to high settings for games, preferably 60+ fps

ShadyVirus

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Hello! I'm new to the PC Building world, so when it comes to building one, I have no idea what parts to pick, which is why I'm coming to you guys! I will be playing games like Borderlands, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age Inquisition, Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Etc. and I would like to be able to play these games in Med-High settings, preferably around 60 fps. Any help is appreciated! :)

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next few weeks

Budget Range: $500, a little bit more is fine, but preferably under $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: I have the os, monitor, keyboard and mouse covered!

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't have a preferred website.

Parts Preferences: I don't have a preference, but I have heard good things about the Radeon R9 270, if it is a good GPU in your opinion, please include it!

Overclocking: I may be overclocking in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Same as above, I may do one of these options in the future.

Monitor Resolution: Already have the monitor covered! :)

Additional Comments: Like I said above, I will be playing games in med-high settings, and I would prefer to be able to play them in 60+ fps if possible. I will be upgrading this computer in the future when I have more money, but for right now this is just a starting point. I will also be needing a quad-core processor!

~Shade

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/eric92/saved/fQRqqs

This should be more than capable of handling what you want and there is a lot of potential for ugrading the CPU down the line to an i5 or i7. Should be room for a new GPU later as well provided you up date your PSU. (I know it's a little bit over what you wanted and if you cant spare the extra money drop the R9 280 down to the 270 and you'll be fine. :) Hope this helps give you an idea.

Good builds already in this thread, however they dual cores. If you want an AMD option which includes overclocking potential, look toward something like the build below...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.68 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($139.80 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FB-03 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $555.41