Help! Should i buy a new monitor or gpu?

jorgevelez666

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
-Hi, well the issue here is this i have this crappy monitor
http://www.lg.com/za/monitors/lg-W2243S-PF-widescreen-computer-monitor

-Is an older version which only has VGA port :p so lag is an issue + the bad contrast and the wicked flicker that drives me crazy when gaming

-Lately i've been noticing that i have to play games on low settings in order to get 60frames (i have a evga 660ti sc) and the evga 970 seems like a really nice gpu. But still my monitor drives me crazy sometimes so i started to look for a good gaming monitor to play BF4, farcry 4, watchdogs.... and i found this one
http://www.amazon.com/VN247H-P-23-6-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00AVYNS7M/ref=sr_1_1?s

So what do you guys recommend me to do, does the asus monitor with dvi-to-hdmi gives me less lag, better contrast and no flicker or should i go for the 970 instead and keep my old monitor?

My rig:
CPU: I7 2600K 4.3ghz
GPU: EVGA 660TI SC
BOARD: Asus P8P67 LE
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600
SSD: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO
HDD: 1000gb Hitachi
COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Thermaltake TRX 850W
SOUND: Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Dolby
CASE: Thermaltake V9

Solution
I'd personally go for the monitor first since that is what you are actually looking at when you game. A 660TI should run pretty decent on most games if you correctly set your graphic settings in each game. BTW, if you intend to OC a 970 stay away from the EVGA cards. The boards are pretty much all stock with no upgraded components. Most of the other companies have upgrade the power delivery to the GPU and some have upgrade it on the vRAM side. You'll get better boost speeds and OC on those models. EVGA just slaps a nice cooler on an OEM card.
I'd personally go for the monitor first since that is what you are actually looking at when you game. A 660TI should run pretty decent on most games if you correctly set your graphic settings in each game. BTW, if you intend to OC a 970 stay away from the EVGA cards. The boards are pretty much all stock with no upgraded components. Most of the other companies have upgrade the power delivery to the GPU and some have upgrade it on the vRAM side. You'll get better boost speeds and OC on those models. EVGA just slaps a nice cooler on an OEM card.

Solution

Thaisnang

Honorable
You should try to get both monitor and GPU at once.
That ASUS monitor would give you improvements over that LG but if you plan to get beast cards like 970 then it would be better to get a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor otherwise an IPS monitor(It will give beautiful colors over TN panel) along with it.
But If you have a strict budget it would be best to get a R9 280X for 220$ and this monitor--> http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2267fw Total of 340$=the price of a 970.

jorgevelez666

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Thx a lot both of you guys, i'm gonna go for the monitor probably a 144hz, even though i don't have the juice to pull those frames atm, but in a few months i'll try to get the 970 not EVGA then ;)