No display (black screen) or post on boot after memory overclock

BobbySixKiller

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Ok, this is a rhetorical question in case anyone ends up in the same situation as I did...

TLDR - yes, I know but f it helps anyone at all then it was worth it.

Basically, I'm about to do a rebuild so have been doing some research into overclocking.

Given my newly acquired "knowledge" which pretty much amounts to: make little a change, see if it works, rinse repeat 'till it doesn't as you're unlikely to fry anything.

I thought I'd try squeezing a little more out of my current ageing box.
It's Core 2 Quad Q9500, 668 or something mhz ram - yeah, stop laughing :)
It was a long time ago and I just needed something for work.

Anyway, given the locked multiplier I thought I'd just try seeing what the ram could do - the board is an ASUS P5P43TD

The default timings on the ram were 9-9-9, it did 8-8-8 fine and 7-7-7 fine as well so I obviously tried 6-7-7... Nada, no post, just a black screen.

Fair enough, just reset the bios right?

I took the side off the case, found the jumper, set it reset the cmos ram and powered up, still black screen, no post, no beeps, nothing.

So I tried taking the battery out and hitting the power button till all LED's on the board went out and left it for a few hours. Powered on, still nothing.

The CPU and case fans came on, and it sounded like the HDD's had power as well - I thought that somehow I'd either fried the ram or corrupted the bios.

So, I copied the relevant files onto a USB stick ready to flash the bios.

I went to plug the USB stick into the back of the box and realised that when I'd moved it to take the side of the case off I'd pulled both monitor cables out just enough to stop them working!!!

Moral of the story?
Check the basics!!!