How do game consoles work (software + hardware)

Caleb Dunn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
My question today is, what specifically would I need to research in order to gain knowledge as to how game consoles are programmed. I've seen so many youtube videos that go over the various parts that game consoles such as the xbox one and the ps4 consist of; most of which pretty much explain how the ps4 or xbox one are pretty much computers for the most part, but what I don't quite understand is how do those parts differentiate from a computer? What is done in order to make a game console a game console rather than a computer?

In other words from what i've seen on various youtube videos, they pretty much just say build a computer and bam you've got yourself a ps4 or something equivalent to the device. I just can't necessarily wrap my head around what enables game consoles to operate the way they do. What would have to be done in order to create such similar interfaces as seen on game consoles and how would something like that be accomplished? Could anyone just gather up hardware, put it together into their own little development console for developing their own games and game software?

I understand this is a bit idiotic of a question to ask, but I am quite curious and would like to receive some possible direction perhaps as to how it's all done. Perhaps even some helpful links, book recommendations, etc in order to understand the ins and outs (in depth) as to how it all works.

Solution
the benefit of the console over a pc to a developer is that every single xbox/ps out there is built the same. there may be a couple different parts like dvd drives from a couple different brands but basically it is the same for EVERY one out there.

so developing is easier when you know exactly what hardware you are working with and software environment available. think about the iphone/ipad vs android. there is only a few idevice models out there and as a developer it is easy to code for only a couple devices with only a few different hardware configurations. now think of all the android devices. 5-6 different os versions and literally hundreds of different hardware specs available. ram, cpu, gpu, screen, onboard memory vs sd cards...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The hardware may be similar, theres a lot of R&D that goes in making sure the parts used are unified, meet certain performance and TDP requirements in a tiny space.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by the CPU that the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate in typical operation

To gel it all together which i think you're confused with is the operating system Sony and Microsoft use.

CDdude55

Distinguished
The software is locked down in order to solely run within the consoles it's designed for. The hardware now a days is similar as it is in a medium range PC (they're using x86 APU's). But the hardware as mentioned if more unified, the whole system is designed together to work a certain way and be developed for a certain way as well. In contrast PC is far more open both in hardware and software.

There is no special thing that makes it a console, they're designed similarly to a PC but are locked down for a purpose. Also in regards to development no, you need what's called a SDK (Software Development Kit) which allows game developers to creates games on it's platform. It is possible to create a game on PC and get it ported to a console with a fee though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the benefit of the console over a pc to a developer is that every single xbox/ps out there is built the same. there may be a couple different parts like dvd drives from a couple different brands but basically it is the same for EVERY one out there.

so developing is easier when you know exactly what hardware you are working with and software environment available. think about the iphone/ipad vs android. there is only a few idevice models out there and as a developer it is easy to code for only a couple devices with only a few different hardware configurations. now think of all the android devices. 5-6 different os versions and literally hundreds of different hardware specs available. ram, cpu, gpu, screen, onboard memory vs sd cards, wifi cards, bluetooth...... now think about coding compatibility for ALL those devices and hopeing it works out.

this is what pc developers deal with as well. millions of possible hardware configurations, os's, monitors and such... by locking down the console, it makes it a lot easier to work with and also easier for ms/sony/apple to control what goes onto their platform. control = money for them and they won't be giving that up anytime soon.

Solution