why is it not a good idea to install the monitor driver from the driver cd?

okino

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
I saw alot of videos from linus where he always says it's a bad idea to put the cd that comes with a monitor and install its drivers form there.

why is that? thanks :p

Solution
well u dont need any monitor driver.....u will be installing the drivers for ur graphics card....sometimes it clashes with the monitor driver and then create problems !!

okino

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014

yeah, but I remember linus telling people to not even install any monitor drivers for some reason. it has to do with the video card or something? that's what I heard

deathRazer

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
well u dont need any monitor driver.....u will be installing the drivers for ur graphics card....sometimes it clashes with the monitor driver and then create problems !!

Solution

Dom_79

Distinguished
Only rarely have I heard of "Monitor Drivers'.

Usually only monitors with some "new"(at the time they were made) feature or an especially odd feature set ever needed drivers.

GPUs (graphic processors) whether they be on a video card or built in to the CPU require drivers and it is ALWAYS best to use the GPU drivers from the manufacturer website (AMD for AMD GPU, NVidia for NVidia GPU)

Any "apps" or "drivers" that come with a monitor are 99.9% of the time just bloat-ware.

It wasn't bad actually. That is just a matter of using latest drivers for your card. Often the driver supplied inside the disc was the latest version available during manufacturing. Looking at the nature how nvidia and AMD updates their GPU driver based on game released it is much better to grab the latest version from nvidia/AMD directly.