My PC cannot boot getting BSOD 0x0000116 and nvlddmkm.sys

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Greetings,

a week ago i was alpha testing a video game when suddenly my PC freeze sound and video, then my computer restarted and i got infamus BSOD with an errors 0x0000116 and nvlddmkm.sys.
I booted into safe mode did some googling then i deleted my current drivers and instaled new ones and it did not helped at all, same with older drivers everytime two things happen:
-PC boot normaly, but after starting windows same BSOD appears and PC reboots
-PC boot normaly, but after starting windows nothing happens i get black screen with no sound.

Only way i can use this PC is in safe mode or without graphic drivers. My friends said i should test my memory witch i did with memtest86+ i left it too test my memory for 6 hours straight it did 7 passes with no error i did also system repair and sytem restore, but it did not helped at all.
Now im asking you what is the problem is it my hardware or software?

The day before i played the same game whole day without the issue and i checked my GPU temps in MSI Afterburner they did not go past 77°C so i ruled out overheating.

My PC spec(4 years old):
i5 760 2.8 ghz
4gb ocz
MSI GTX 470
1tb HDD
650w(80plus PSU)

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I know how irritating it can be to leave a problem unsolved, but the easiest likely solution would be a fresh install. This kind of error is almost certainly caused by the graphics, though weather it's hardware or driver remains to be seen. I would first remove, dust and reseat the graphics card and try one last time to boot. If it still fails, you should test to see if it's a driver issue. To test this, I would boot a live Linux (Ubuntu 14.04.1 x86 is great) and see how it fares - if the GUI loads and behaves normally, you've got a driver issue and (since you've already done pretty well everything else) you should do a clean install of Windows.

Hope that helps!

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Can't say that for certain, but it would be very likely, yes. I would seriously suggest trying a live disk first (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop) - could save you a ton of time and frustration if it does turn out to be the hardware.
BTW, were you overclocking the card?

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Then I can see no reason why the card would have died (unless you game pretty well constantly) - that said, graphics cards, like all computer parts, never really need a reason to die; sometimes they just do. I'd put my money on a software issue, though.

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
why did you give me an advice for ubuntu becouse i have never tought of it and if i install it will it delete all my files or just windows files?

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Ubuntu is one of the worlds most popular flavors of Linux - it's run by a non-profit, so it's free, but it's also incredibly well established and designed.
Download the ISO, burn it to a disk, set your optical drive to primary boot device (in BIOS), then boot with the disk. You don't have to install anything on your computer - you can run the operating system off of the disk by selecting the "Live" option. Nothing you install while you're running it will be saved to your disk; none of your files will be altered. Live systems are used as diagnostic and recovery tools, as well as a sort of unlimited no-strings-attached trial of the operating system. It's always handy to have one around, just in case windows dies and you need to sort things out.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
A bit embarrassed that I forgot to ask this (must be more tired than I thought :S): did you do a clean install of the latest drivers available from NVidia?

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Alright, you could also try using the previous version of the driver, failing that then as I've said, you can test with a live os or you can go straight to a reinstall.

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
ok i reinstalled my windows as soon as i restarted my PC after updating nividia drivers same BSOD appeared so is it hardware issue for sure now?

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Not always - small defects on a mainboard can cause a ton of issues without triggering a beep code. HDD would give weird issues of a less consistent nature (especially across two different installs), memory you already tested the crap out of (you can try reseating it, if you haven't already). PSU is a possibility, though - it's very rare for a stable system to cause a PSU to fail only when it reaches a certain % load (in your case it would be 50%, which would be even more bizarre).