What to look for in a £300 monitor

david87

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I'm looking at getting a new monitor soon.
But I have no idea what to look for. The only way is to buy online these days so I can't walk into a shop and go, that one looks best, so I'm after some recommendations. I'll be replaceing a 22" samsung syncmaster b2230, powered by a 970gtx/i5k combo

Whats Is going to make my experience better, do I want more pixels, more screen real estate, higher refresh, 120 hz, 144 WQHD

I've been thinking about the LG 21:9 29" monitor at £300 (which is the hard cap on the budget), but are there better pieces for gaming at 1080p. (are there any 16:10 around anymore and are they supported in most games?)
Should I even consider waiting till prices drop on WQHD?

Solution

You can use either hdmi 2 or displayport (I recommend displayport). 2k looks great on a 4k screen - it scales really well.

pauls3743

Distinguished
As much as I'd like to say to go for 4k, I cannot recommend it for gaming. It runs at 60Hz, even though it's has a 1ms response time, it lags worse than my 60Hz 1080p BenQ with a 5ms response time. I've also seen 29" superwide screens lag something horrible as well, the newer ones might be better but I just don't know.

If you're looking to get a better gaming experience I'd suggest going for a 120Hz screen. If you can get it at 1440p (2560 x 1440) I'd probably go for that.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

God no - seriously, 1440p is NOT worth it - it's a useless format that is being supplanted by 4k. This monitor works extremely well in gaming (I have no idea where this "screen lag" nonsense is coming from [at the very least in the case of this particular monitor]) - honestly, you have no idea how awesome it is to play your favorite games in crisp 4k.

pauls3743

Distinguished

I have the Asus PB287Q (28" 3840 x 2160 60Hz), it is this screen I am referring to as having worse lag than the pair of BenQ screens I have flanking it. I must also point out the I think most of the lag is caused either by the screen itself or the displayport interface as it has to transfer so much more data.

Of course, if you're not a serious gamer and response time is not so important then 4k is the way to go.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

No, the lag would be caused by the screen itself - DisplayPort is plenty fast to handle the data. I'm sorry you got a shitty screen, but the one I'm recommending DOES NOT LAG AT ALL - if it did, it would have gone straight back to the store.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

That's utterly illogical. 4k screens are built for gamers - besides, you have another "serious gamer" who owns another model of 4k monitor telling you that there are models (like the Samsung) that don't lag. Period. I've never seen a 4k screen that lagged - I feel like you've been royally screwed over o_O

pauls3743

Distinguished
I'm not a serious gamer. I didn't say the lag was big, just slightly worse than a 24" 60Hz screen. Sometimes I notice it, mostly when I'm dragging windows between screens, mostly I don't notice it. I don't feel like I got screwed over. I just can't recommend it for serious gaming.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

Well, I am a serious gamer and I wholeheartedly recommend the Samsung.

Hahaha oh lord, we've created a loop XD - let's agree to disagree :p

david87

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So I suppose it comes down to UHD @ 60hz vs WQHD at 120 and £75 in my back pocket

do i need hdmi 2 to get the full 60hz rate
will i get a performance hit if i have games running at 2k on the 4k screen etc or will it just look crap?

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

You can use either hdmi 2 or displayport (I recommend displayport). 2k looks great on a 4k screen - it scales really well.

Solution