Upgrading Late 2010 PC - Budget $500-600

mrsnoddy

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hello all,

I'm looking to see what upgrades would be best ($500-600) for my PC to play new games such as GTA V, Far Cry 4 as well general speed boosts (so I'm assuming a SSD is a must to put Windows on and a few games).

Here are my current specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 3.2Ghz
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB kit)
GPU: GTX 560
PSU: Antec HCG-520.
HDD: 1TB HDD

Any suggestions of how best to do this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

That is a terrible idea. That processor would bottle neck the balls off the 970..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ttvpFT

This is basically a rebuild. Sell your 560 and the mobo and cpu as a bundle. Sell it on craigslist or something. Then, install all of these parts into your existing case. You will be using your RAM, PSU and case still. I would tell you to use the same HDD but the process from putting one HDD onto another computer is far to complicated. With the ram, purchase an identical 2x2gb kit to the one you have. I added the kit I did in my suggestions so that you get a guesstimate on what everything will cost you in the end.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

Do this.

mrsnoddy

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Thanks for the parts list, you don't think a SSD would be worthwhile over any of the others parts for this budget?

There are far better things to spend your money on at that budget. Really, SSDs give you better boot times and load times and that's about it. No fps value at all which means no gaming added performance

mrsnoddy

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Ok thanks I would like to have better boot times and load times also so I think I might save a bit extra to put in a SSD too.