Building a new PC. GPU and RAM questions.

Cirrak

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I'm currently in the process of ordering parts to build a new PC. My current PC, which was the first I built, is going to be 5 years old in January, and seeing all the sales made me go ahead and decide that the time was right to upgrade.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rB86yc

Some of my old parts aren't available on pcpartpicker so I used newer versions in that list.

i7-4790k, ASRock Z97 EXTREME6, and Intel 730 Series SSD being my new parts. I'm reusing my Corsair 750w PSU, 4x 2gb 1600 kingston ram, Antec 902 case, and my old GTX 460.

Obviously I need to upgrade my GPU, but that brings me to one of my questions. I want a GTX 970, however I'm hearing a LOT about the coil whine. Does anybody know if waiting a month or 2 would be best so that they can work out the kinks? Or would you suggest I go ahead and order one now?

My second question is whether or not I need to upgrade my RAM. THIS is the current RAM that I have. Assuming it will still work fine, could anyone tell me if I would benefit from having more than 8gbs for gaming?

Thank you very much for your time.

franktorres67

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
coil whine is happening on the evga 970... so i would go with the msi version for sure. 8gb is enough but i would just pick up 16gb if you have a little more money.

the golden Rule :)

4G of Ram per core :)

and yes you will run things faster and it is always better to have more memory to cache the system and reduce the Disk Access ...

and it is better to use 2x8G so you dont loose up memory slots.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I've never heard of this "golden rule". 8GB of ram is plenty for gaming and there's absolutely no reason to get more.

Every brand of graphics card has a chance of coil whine... I'd go ahead and order now as it's likely this won't change later on.

Cirrak

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll go ahead and start looking into which gtx 970 to get. Do you have any idea if it's worth it to spend the extra money to buy one of the more expensive ones? I'm planning on trying out overclocking for the first time, but I don't think I'll push it too much.

Also, I may upgrade my ram at some point but I can do that at any time, preferably when there's a good sale on some. I'm not exactly on a tight budget, but I'm trying to be as frugal as possible with this build. Y'know...not buying a 980 or something crazy.

franktorres67

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

well na shit lol and yeah personally, i would just go with the msi gaming gtx 970 or the evga superclocked. also dont even look into the 980 lol so expensive for barley anything more. Also if you could, i would put two 970's in there and it would only cost you 20% more than ONE 980, but be a whooooooole lot better.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Any of the ones $350 and below will perform great.