Could Someone Explain To Me The Purpose of the Pants at Half Mast?

IMO, it is absolutely disgusting to see males walking around in public with their pants at half mast!

It seems to be a Black and White thing, it is not specific to any of those races?

So what is this all about?

Solution
Oh yes! I saw a guy doing the fast "I may have crapped myself" waddle the other morning and I laughed so hard I gave myself a coughing fit! :lol:

Wasn't that supposed to be a secret?!

Thanks! :)

Back on topic, it seems the pants half mast actually came from prison, as the inmates were not allowed to have belts, because of being able to hurt themselves or others, or actually hang themselves with them.

Carried on outside of prison life is supposed to represent a gangster style of life.

That may not be all of what it is regarding though?

It may be imitation or fad, as it does seem that some Hip Hoppers and Rappers wear their pants like that on stage too?

So is it really as simple as, "Monkey See, Monkey Do!"?

No Offense MM

CDdude55

Distinguished
As stated, it's a style that was generated from the prison system because inmates weren't allowed to wear belts, it's generally a style seen within poorer communities due to the unfortunately higher incarceration rate. If you want to change the style, you have to change the socio-economic conditions that caused them to adopt that style, a lot of them expect prison just by being born in the wrong neighborhoods.

Ironically, the people wear that style generally don't know that gay prisoners encourage that style, yet they think it makes them look tough.

The statements about it being a holdover from prison and not being able to wear belts is correct. As they were released, they wore their prison time as a badge of honor, to help them gain "street cred". Eventually it grew out of the hood and into hip-hop culture, now it has evolved into a fashion statement more so than anything; especially since you've got both white and black youth growing up in the middle/upper class suburbs so far removed from the inner city slinking around with their pants halfway between their hips and knees.

Self respect and caring about your appearance is mutually exclusive of socio-economic conditions. There are generations of people who have lived, grew up, and made a life for themselves in poorer communities who took pride in their appearance and how they presented themselves. Today's youth, black or white, wearing their pants at half mast is a by-product of a popular culture, peer pressure, and fashion trends. Ironically, given pants at half mast is a fashion statement, it is the current generation's way of showing pride in their appearance as it conforms to their cultural norms. It is just happenstance that pants at half mast is associated with poorer communities and has nothing to do with not being able to afford a belt or expecting to be incarcerated.

I was informed it was due to the sexual nature of the prision enviornment. Men would half show thier a$$es to the other inmates for...well, let's just say it wasn't for tea time thats for sure!

It has since spilled over into the streets and has become a fasion statement. ( For God knows why...)

Ironically, where I'm at, there is no sign of 'low riding' what so ever. Moslty rich kids whos parents can afford A&F, AE, Holly, and the likes. ( Hell, I can barely afford wally-world! But, that is another story. )