Need a new build that will take me into the future and beyond!

longhornbull

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey guys,
I have the green light from my wife to build a new computer for my Christmas gift from her and all that she asks is that I keep the price reasonable.

That means the build, including an OS, needs to be under $800, which will not include mouse, keyboard, or monitor. Just the basics.

I would like for the computer last last for ~~4 years with minimal upgrades, except maybe a GPU down the road.

I currently have a phenom 945, gtx 650, 8 gb 1333, gigabyte ma770 ud3, 650w generic psu (cheap replacement from a local vendor), 1tb hdd, and a 4yr old dvd drive and cooler master case. If I can reuse some of these parts great and if not that is fine.

With everything on sale right now, I think it is a good time to pull the trigger and order some parts. So what I am asking is, can you guys help me throw something together that will last a few years and play a variety of games?

I know this is a lot to ask but I also know that you guys can do this sort of stuff in your sleep.

Thanks for any help!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Couldn't do better than this,

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Full Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Total: $801.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 13:22 EST-0500

No overclocking with this build,but a decent cpu and gpu.
The psu will last a while too,750watts is really too much,but for it's price is it a good buy.
Put in a hybrid drive for some extra speed.
A tiny bit over,but with the next case just under budget,
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-caso22001

I have also rebates off in my partpicker so if you can use those is there maybe more to get out of it,but let me know if that's the case.

Hmmm,didn't even see this.You could reuse the ram,hdd (if sata? i assume it is) dvd player (if sata) and the case (which one?)

Let me know what you like about the build i posted and see what we can do with what you already have.

Thought I'd throw this out for another option,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($94.99 @ B&H)
Total: $792.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 14:28 EST-0500

The only thing it doesn't include is an aftermarket cpu cooler if you wanted to overclock. You could use the stock cooler and keep stock settings if you wanted to overclock at a later date. This is taking into account using your current ram, hard drive and cd rom since they can all be reused in this build. The case is just a basic case, decent airflow, will fit the video card. Too hard to pick something as personal as a case for someone really.

Just like the os, I only chose 8.1 because it's the most current. Not because I recommend it or like it personally. I actually prefer win7 but it's quickly aging so hard to recommend it.

It really depends what you want to do or think you'll want to do. Choosing a processor now will sort of determine whether or not you want to overclock anytime in the near future. If not then there are less expensive processors and you can save maybe $30-40.

Everyone is different. Me personally? I tend to opt for cpu power first, graphics card second. Many people prefer the other way around. I also prefer 'plain' cases, maybe a side window, I don't get into led fans and all that - pretty much 'basic', 'understated' or some might consider 'ugly' lol. I'd also opt for a solid psu over extras. Lots of things come down to a personal choice and personal experience. Some people prefer a particular brand of video card. My preference is for xfx even if they're not the fastest. They usually have a lifetime warranty on their cards and they've been good to me the rare times I've had an issue. Not everyone has the same experience.

longhornbull

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to suggest the build Vic. After thinking about it, I will probably just donate my old PC to friend or family so there is no need to worry about reusing any parts.

I really like the build and don't see any big ticket items, which is a good thing. I had been debating on whether to go with an AMD 8320 or Intel I3 or I5 and have read very good reviews on the CPU you suggested. If the performance is that much greater on the I5 4460 compared to the AMD 8320, I have no problem spending the extra $70.

I was also looking at the GTX 280 and GTX 270X. In your opinion, do you think that 280X is worth the extra $30-40?

Also, would I be missing any big features on a Z97 by ordering this motherboard?

I will do some shopping around this evening to see if I can't find any combo or rebate deals to save a little extra money.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

You're welcome.:D
A nice thing to do with that old pc.

I would pick an intel for gaming.Not anti amd,but intel is imo just the better choice atm.

The r9 280 could be a nice choice and when overclocked maybe up to par wih the r9 280X if you wanted to save money,but when you can get the best possible gpu within the budget,the r9 280X would be good for overclocking as well and be better again.
Right now is the asus the cheaper one so look in the partpicker for that,prices vary per day so look for the better part/price at the moment and not just the gpu,but check all parts.

The Z97 will bring the extra option of raid or ssd caching,but for the latest did i pick that specific hdd,a hybrid hdd which has an internal ssd part.This doesn't need the chipset from the motherboard to be able to handle caching,the controller of the hdd runs that for itself.
Depending on which motherboard you choose might you get a better soundchip.It will also have more ports like sata 3 or maybe usb 3.0 at the back i/o.
It would also bring the possibility for getting an overclockable cpu and try that out,maybe even get that 4460 to run all of it's cores at maximum turbo instead of just two.