new corsair 350d matx build - purchase imminent please advise

Kmiester

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
hello all,

i'm currently trying to build a new system, i've been limping along with my laptop for a few years now but it has been struggling to keep up for some time now. thus i am trying to decide on components for the new system so that i can build something to last for a while before games companies make my system obsolete in a few years. my dream is for once in my life to play a hi spec game on max settings, so that i may experience the joy of actually playing the game and it looking damn good at the same time!

i would like to build something that looks good, is watercooler, is matx size, is powerful, is quiet and dust free. i would also like to be able to play 4k games. however i do not have a 4k monitor, i am intending to buy a 144 hz monitor but they do not support 4k except for the pricey asus swift, but i read its riddled with problems. so it seems like either 4k or 144 hz so ill pick the higher refresh rate for now.

that said i'm seeking the toms community assistance in assembling said dream machine.
before i list my components i would like to say that nothing is set in stone and i am open to all discussions and advice.

please note i live in the middle east and will be shipping these things to my address from the US. so need reliable parts that wont be dead on arrival. because im not sure i could return them due to shipping costs/time.

my proposed system (or things i have sort of decided on so far)

PC Parts list
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Thermal Compound: TUNIQ TX-4 Extreme Performance 1g
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 360GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 860W ATX12V / EPS12V
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420G 24.0"
Rear exhaust Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder World of Tanks Wired Optical
Power Cables: Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), RED
Power cables: Individually Sleeved ATX Cable 24pin (Generation 2), RED
Fan controller: Corsair Commander Mini
Dust Filter: Corsair Obsidian 350D Dust Filter Kit
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Stealth
MousePad: World of Tanks Razer Goliathus

- water cooling selection: not sure yet as i have never done it, rigid acrylic tubing looks too complicated, so i guess normal tubing.

thats all i think...
thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

kmiester

Kmiester

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
so i have had a read of watercooling guides and have decided i wanted a dual loop as per guide recommendations.
im going to have the CPU on one loop and the GPU's on the other.

Water cooling parts:

dual Reservoir + pump combo: RP-452X2 Dual 5.25in Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-450/S Pumps, Rev.2.0
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal+Nickel
GPU block : EK-FC970 GTX TF5 - Acetal+Nickel
GPU Backplate: EK-FC970 GTX TF5 Backplate - Black (doesn't seem to be in stock)
GPU Connector block: EK-FC Terminal DUAL Serial
Radiator front (GPU loop): EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (240)
Radiator Top (CPU loop) : EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual)
Coolant: Distilled water
biocide: PT Nuke or any other
anti corrosion additive: ? (do i need one if i use the same metals in the loops?)
Tubing: ? (something red or uv red i don't know)
Tube fittings: ?
Top radiator Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm
Front radiator Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm
pump controller/monitor: ?
Fan controller/ monitor: ?

the front of the 350d supports 140mm fans as they mount to the chasis no the radiator, but corsair do not do silent, static pressure fans in 140mm. so might have to change fan manufacturers. i wanted to go initially with corsair because of the fan controller hardware that they provide (corsair link)
to give me an overview of my PCs temps and fan speeds and be able to control them via the software, but if i change my fans then im not sure if i can use other companies fans with the corsair link? anyway i also need somthing to control/ monitor pump speeds and possibly another device for leak monitoring. but honestly im running out of space in the 350d case, so my options seem limited.

still haven't looked at different types of GPU full cover blocks or radiators so these may change.

here is a diagram of what i think will be happening with the watercooling loops:

Untitled.png

TRENDING THREADS