UK: Want to build a computer to run high end games at a good cost (£)

hyodirect

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
currently I'm not working so my current budget is £0. When I am working, I will be an 18 year old apprentice, so again my budget wouldn't be far off £0. Let's be modest: a build for £1k? (Will take half a year of saving).

If you can suggest a build for £500-700, that would make life easier for me. Currently I got my main components as high end so in future I can build over it (when it's financially viable).

Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: Asus z97 Sabertooth Mark I

Now I'm not half as knowledgable about PC's as everyone here, so could someone give suggestions to finish the build? Or cheaper alternatives?

I heard the Intel i5 4670 is as good as the i7, except it can't handle video rendering as well. Consider I am looking for work in media, so there is a big chance I will work from home.

My priorities for this build is gaming and video editing software. I'm into games RPG and FPS games (ex. Skyrim, Battlefield 3). I'd like to run Skyrim on ultra high.

Thanks!

hyodirect

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Yes, it does need to include them. For a monitor I'm not fussy, so whatever does the trick. OS? Windows, but I'm not a genius on which to get and if one will be more beneficial over the other. Is 7 good enough? Premium? Ultimate?

hyodirect

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I have considered waiting longer and going over my budget. Among my considered parts are the Corsair gold RM850 PSU and Corsair Hydro series H100i cooling unit. Is this a good move? I heard corsair is a very good brand, true? And finally I have read that with cooling units there is a chance the rubber ages and cracks, leading to a water spill and damaging your computer build, is this typical? It came up a number of times in the reviews, as a problem.

Here's a suggested build, I'm sure others will throw their ideas into the mix; http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/HhcZGX.

I've included a BD-R drive for your media work (which you may not need) but omitted a monitor and case, as everyone has different aesthetic opinions. A monitor is something I'd urge you to see for yourself, as a lot of them can look good but feel cheap. If you're planning to edit photos, you'll benefit from an IPS display as the colour reproduction is much more accurate.

An 850W PSU is overkill unless you're planning to SLI/Crossfire the GPU in the future. Same goes for the H100i; it's a great cooler, but only necessary if you want to overclock close to 5Ghz or have an FX-9xxx series processor.

Personally, I'm not a fan of AIO water coolers. The stock fans are loud and whilst you can replace them, you can't replace the pump, which isn't exactly quiet. Also bear in mind that AIO coolers are still cooled by air; the fans suck cool air in which passes over a radiator to cool the liquid. This is why ambient air temperature is the single biggest factor in PC cooling.

hyodirect

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Many thanks! So is windows 8 significantly better than 7?

hyodirect

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
And above this, isn't the Nvidia GeForce GTX series the best/safest option to go for? I know this is opinion based, but I'm open to here yes/or no, w/ justifications.

Thanks.

I threw in Windows 8.1 purely because support for Windows 7 is ending next year and there's no point investing in a soon-to-be-dead OS.

The GTX series is generally held in higher regard and the GTX 970 has certainly shifted the goalposts, but that doesn't mean the R9 series is bad. The R9 280 is also half the price of the GTX 970. Assuming your monitor will be 1920x1080 60hz, a 280 will easily play the games you want and still be good for a few years.

Like I said, the case is yours to choose as it's a matter of personal taste. Just remember to consider future expansion and airflow when you're shopping around.