HDMI issue with 1080p monitor with black bars all around only in 720p resolutions

HunterDigi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I have an HDMI issue with lower than 1080p rezolutions.

The scaling thing is already set to 0 so 1080p looks as it should but if I want to play a game at 1280x720 for example I get black bars ALL AROUND, which is nasty.

I've tried GPU scaling (which doesn't seem to work anymore for some reason, it worked on my VGA cable... but it had a weird white line issue with the DVI adaptor for the GPU, so I bought an HDMI cable) but none of the options make it full screen... some options make other resolutions worse, for example "maintain aspect ratio" screws up 1366/1360x768 by adding top/bottom black bars...

Additionally, in the CCC at HDTV support where it lists ome resolutions, I clicked add and it gives me this screen where I can add custom resolutions but in a fixed manner... I checked "maintain aspect ratio" (while on 1920x1080 desktop) there as well and started going down... the smallest resolution is 1440x720... which is 16:8, how is that maintaining aspect ratio ?!

I find to have more issues with HDMI than VGA and it's depressing xD

PS: The Forum's "ask a question" form is misleading or broken... I typed all of this in there and clicked "Publish" to find that I've been redirected to an empty form :| good thing Chrome kept what I typed when I clicked back xD

HunterDigi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
Well, I've found the solution myself, the underscaling option is for each resolution and frequency, you have to set it to 0 on all combinations in order to not get black bars in any of them.

TRENDING THREADS