If you are considering a dual core CPU, please read:

8350rocks

Distinguished
http://www.techspot.com/review/921-dragon-age-inquisition-benchmarks/page6.html

The first game that WILL NOT RUN AT ALL on a dual core CPU of any kind has officially launched. The system locks at the load screen with 100% CPU load on both cores, even with HTT on.

Do not waste money on a dual core of any kind from Intel or AMD.

Buy a quad core...I have been saying this for ages. I am a game designer, games will not run on dual cores much longer moving forward. Spend your money wisely.

Greetings 8350rocks,

Do You honestly think that some gamer, who's budget will allow quad-core, will even blink a thought about dual core?

I also don't think that multicore is problem, I think that bad optimization for cores whatsoever is a problem. And Dragon Age Inquisition is brand new AAA game title, there's no chance it's not gonna utilize multiple cores.

That's not due to the fact that it's a dual core, that's just poor thread handling and synchronization.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, no, it is not due to poor thread handling...this is the same engine BF4 used, and we all saw it used 4 cores. This is an open world game on that engine. I can easily see requiring 4 heavy threads to run new games.

8350rocks

Distinguished

This was mainly aimed at the many who sit around and still tell people to get a dual core for gaming. If you are building a gaming PC, build a gaming PC. If you want office productivity on a budget, buy an i3.

cmi86

Distinguished
I have been saying this for quite some time now. I can somewhat understand people buying in to very inexpensive intel dual cores (G3258, not some $140 i3) just to get on the platform and skimp by until they can afford a quad later. That said AMD dual cores have no place in a performance PC anymore as they are just not efficient enough to perform at anything really. My fiance's mother bought her son a PC from cyberpower with an A6-6400k ( I know, I know. I was not aware) Even clocked at 4.2Ghz this thing is so dirt slow. CPU usage during DayZ is in the 90-100% while pushing >30FPS, Multi tasking is obviously out of the question. Compare this to my 3Ghz Q8300 in back up machine and the 6 yr old Q8300 with DDR2-800 feels like the millenium falcon jumping to light speed. DayZ runs good, alt+tab nice and smooth other programs still responsive, it is literally night and day. Multitasking is really my argument against any dual core though. Even though intel duals are far more capable of gaming they are still fairly pressed to simultaneously provide smooth multitasking due to limited CPU resources. I prefer a PC that provides me with an enjoyable experience in all aspects of usage not just a one trick pony that barely skates by on gaming and chokes when you try to add anything else to the mix.

It's most likely a deadlock. Deadlocks are caused by incorrect use of synchronization objects. They can be very tricky to fix and amateurish thread handling with respect to SMP can cause all sorts of problems that don't show up in sequential programming models. BF4 is famous for having been rushed out the door so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Frostbite engine fixes that made it into BF4 over the past year didn't make it into DA:I

Actually, the below video contradicts the comment from TechSpot regarding running DA:I on a dual core CPU. The video shows the game running on a Surface Pro 2 using the dual core Intel i5-4200u and the Intel HD 4400 graphics core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VjJ1j5VYS0

I don't actually recommend using the Intel HD 4400 graphics core to play the game due to the low frame rates, but the video does show the game running on the i5-4200u (at least according to the uploader). By default the game does not run when using the Intel HD 4400. The uploader provided a few basic instructions on how to get the game to run on the Intel HD 4400 in the following link. Again, I don't recommend playing DA:I with the Intel HD 4400 because gameplay is choppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3880281687&feature=iv&src_vid=8VjJ1j5VYS0&v=KA90Tm06fxU

8350rocks

Distinguished

Even if you can sidestep it and get it to run at all...I honestly doubt there would be any reason to bother, especially at higher resolutions with any decent graphic settings.

Besides, there are many other games coming that will prevent people from running on less than 4 cores by programming requirements.

The game runs FINE on my 2600k if I set affinity to just two cores. So there's no performance or technical reason why the game can't run, its a design decision made by the developers, or a bug.

FC4 is definitely coded that way, and that is CLEARLY an error given how they did it (forcing a thread on Core 3, which if that isn't bad enough, is a HTT core).

Henk van dommelen

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
For the people stating that it just runs on 4 cores. When i have my fx 6300 @ 4,1ghz DA:I has a max load of 87%. That indicates over 5 cores are being used. And with a higher overclock the total load drops.