What to look for in a USB Wireless adapter?

Rad3on

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I'm planning on buying a cheap USB Wireless adapter, but I'm not sure which one I should chose.

- I plan on using it ~15-20 meters behind a few walls, so there's no chance I'd receive even 150Mbps considering I use a cheap router (TL-WR841N). But would a 300Mbps adapter make a difference in terms of signal reception and stability?

- Does the size matter? Do those super small adapters offer the same performance as the bigger ones?

Can anyone help me?

You're going to have issues regardless of the adapter if you are going thru several walls. If order to get the best wireless performance, you would be better off getting a wifi card with external antennas. If you must have a dongle, find the one that provides the most gain.

Mark

Rad3on

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

I currently have a wifi card with external antennas (from TP-LINK) but I have lots of issues with it. Super high ping, disconnects from time to time, etc.

Would the issues with the dongle be similar?

Probably worse. Ghz signals do not penetrate well, and your walls are going to give you fits, especially at 20m. Any change of relocating your router or doing a hardwire?

Rad3on

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

I've been considering that, but for now, not really. Maybe I'll spend a bit of time searching for PCI adapters.
Thanks for your help!