Am I able to play Dragon's Age: Inquisition with my new computer or am I ....

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
I recently went to a local business and had them build me a computer. My intention was to have something for FFXV when it comes out next year. In the meantime, I decided to keep myself busy by playing Dragon's Age: Inquisition.

This is what I have:

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD 8670D

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card

Windows 8.1

8 GB RAM

I thought this was "ok" to do some gaming with, but last night I bought the digital deluxe version of DA: I. After playing for a couple of hours without problems, my computer froze at the menu screen when I tried to exit the game. Today when I tried to start the game, the same thing happened - although when I tried again, it eventually worked. Both times when my computer froze, I waited a few minutes and then had to use the Task Manager to restart. HELP !?!?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
oh yeah, if it matters at all, the guy that built my rig put in a solid state drive. I'm not really sure what that means, but he said it would make my system load/run faster.

Quest_Skyrim

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Please, don't bump your post! Use edit instead!

If you had done your research on the net you would probably know by now that there are lots of people that have problems with freezing and other strange behaviour in this game and then there are people with almost no problems.

A SSD will only help you to get faster access to material that will need to loading into RAM through out this game such as high resolution textures or more NPC. The good part are that your now will have faster boot time and a restart will not take that much time as it did before.

I would guess the largest problem could be that your video card only have 2 GB VRAM. Which resolution are you playing and what setting are you using in game?

Try to go down to a lower resolution and turn also off AA in game to see, if that might improve your problem with freezing. Make sure that you are running your memory in dual channel and within their rated speed to have optimal bandwith. Use CPU-Z (google for it) to make sure for what your RAM are running at.

As usually I also would expect you to have made sure that you installed the latest recommended drivers for this game from AMD, both for your chipset and for your video card?

Do you have high quality brand for PSU and you sure it is not showing any sign of instability when you use for more demanding task/high load situation?