Graphic card for triple monitors

highterm

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I'm building a new windows 8.1 PC around 3 x 27" monitors (2560 x 1440) with Display Port connection. I guess my next step is to choose the right graphics card.

This is a work PC so mostly used for spreadsheets, text, browsing, reading, research, email etc. No gaming required but I occasionaly watch video.

What is an appropriate card that can power 3 x 2560 screens with DP connectors?

One other requirement is that my PC runs as quietly as possible (my existing pc is noisy and I'm fed up with that!)

Any help very much appreciated, thanks!

You don't necessarily need a single card.

If you have an iGPU that may supply one (if multi-monitor enabled in BIOS) and an inexpensive, fanless card might provide the other two. Or two cards with support for two each (or one on on iGPU and one on each card).

I'll attempt to look but I'd focus on the latest like an R7-250 from AMD, or GTX750 from NVidia but it's possible an older HD6450 or similar would suffice.

*Please let us know if the monitors support DVI as a Dual-Link connection will support that resolution as well. Many cards have a DVI and DP on the same card (which supports two monitors).

So to repeat it's POSSIBLE you might get away with an iGPU + GTX750:

#1 - iGPU via DP or DVI dual-link
#2 - GTX750 via DP
#3 - GTX750 via DVI dual-link

I can't comment too much more without knowing if you your monitors support DVI, and if you have support for one monitor from your iGPU at the same time as a Graphics card (I do via my i7-3770K).

However, here's a couple cards and how they'd be used:

#1 - Asus Strix GTX750Ti: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx750tioc2gd5
- supports only TWO monitors (if both DP and DVI DL are supported)
- *has 0dB mode (fanless mode) for non-gaming

#2 - Asus HD6450: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-eah6450silentdi1gd3lp
- only 1xDVI DL if supported
- would need TWO or even THREE cards. Single slot. FANLESS.

Summary:
So you'll need some combination. There ARE MORE EXPENSIVE cards that will do what you wish likely but they may not be fanless or have a 0dB mode but this should help you get started.

Note that running SEPARATE monitors works fine generally with multiple cards. A single "virtual" screen for gaming is completely different.

highterm

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

The monitors have Display Port 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 no dvi

highterm

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
I should have mentioned that I have not purchased any components yet, not even the screens. (Plus, i'm a novice and really have no clue what i'm doing!)
I'm drawing up the spec, starting with the screens and working backwards from there. Before I buy anything I wan't to get feedback as to it whether the various components i'm selecting are compatible.

Thanks for the help so far!

Hi,

1) The NEWEGG links are useless to you. They are for DP outputs from the graphics card, and the graphics card is overkill for non-gaming.

2) I think the best solution is probably:

Monitor#1: Intel iGPU (multi-monitor on in BIOS; Intel video drivers installed)

Monitor#2: fanless HD6450 or similar

Monitor #3: fanless HD6450 or similar

So two addon cards unless you can find a single one with two DP slots that doesn't cost much and is quiet or silent.

I'm pretty sure this works

$6 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This is the exact same card I had on my dad's PC without any issues. So two might be enough as per my above comment.

Cheap enough that it's not horrible if things don't pan out exactly. Get the DRIVERS direct from AMD.