AMD FX 8350 OR A10 7850K for a future proof gaming

Rohit0071996

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Hello,
I'm gonna upgrade my pc. Actually for Gaming only with some multitasking also.

The AMD FX 8350 or the A10 7850K are almost equally priced and they fit in my budget for buying CPU.

For my gaming rig, I have decided to buy GTX 970.

My Quesiton is -
Which of the two CPUs - 8350 or 7850K, will be best for me? Especially for Ultra Gaming on 1080p.

If I buy the APU then the embedded graphics of the APU will become a waste?? Will the embedded graphics will support the GTX 970 while intense Gaming???

I wanna play latest games like Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed Unity, etc. on all Ultra settings with MSAA 2X. And I think the GPU - GTX 970 is more than enough for these games??

I don't want to go with Intel CPUs because they are overpriced and have lesser cores.

Please help me choosing the right CPU for the budget. Also if anyone can tell me the BEST MoBo for the chosen CPU then I will be very thankful.

Thanks.

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
The A10 7850k will cause a bottleneck but the 8350 should run fine with the 970 in most games :)
I'd vote for the 8350 but if you are talking about future-proofing get yourself a nice h97/z97 board and get an i5 or xeon :)
**The a10 7850k is around the same price because it has an iGPU which you won't need seeing as you will be getting a GTX 970

VenBaja

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Neither of those CPU's will future proof your system. The 7850K is meant for workstations and/or budget gaming rigs, while the 8350 is a 2-3 year old mid-range CPU that couldn't even complete with Sandybridge when it released. Get the 8350 if you're on a strict budget, are very stubborn, or really want to help out AMD's investors. Get an Intel i5 if you want to game.

If you are buying the GTX 970, there is no reason to buy an A10-7850K. The exact same CPU, just without the graphics portion, can be bought for half the price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($75.04 @ Mwave)
Total: $75.04

The embedded graphics in the A10-7850 are disabled, and cannot be used when the GTX 970 is plugged in.

You have a misconception about Intel CPUs though. On paper, they look a lot slower, but in real life, they are much faster. For example, a dual core Intel i3 CPU clocked at 3.4 GHz outperforms the 8-core FX-8350 at 4 GHz in MOST games (this is just from my expierience of looking at benchmark charts. Watch Dogs is not one of these games, but the i3 is quite close).

If you are talking about futureproofing, Intel is a far better option. AMD's significantly slower CPU cores (about as fast as Intel's cores 5 years ago) and AMD's nearly non-existent upgrade paths make it a terrible option for you. I would highly recommend getting an Intel i5 with an H97 motherboard. The H97 motherboards cost less than AM3+ motherboards, so the price of getting an i5 versus the FX-8350 would be about the same.

CPU_01.png

Hope that helps :)

leeb2013

Honorable
Neither will be future proof. The 8350 is the most powerful of the two, but is inefficient, hot and has poor single core performance. It is generations behind Intel CPUs, which can easily match it with half the cores and lower clocks.
The 7850k APU is a poor cpu with half decent graphics capability, which you won't use, so you're just paying for a poor CPU.