will this old(er) power supply work on a new mother board?

corbmonster

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I got this PSU when I did my first build in 2006. I'm still using that same build 8 years later! I'm looking to make a new build. And I'm looking at a couple mother boards of the same general specs such as this Gigabyte, and this Asus. The question is, will my PSU work with these guys? I think the only area of concern is the extra power connection (not the 20+4, but the extra power connection on the mother board for CPU). I know my current motherboard has an extra 4 pin power connection. And the new boards I'm looking at have 8. I think, if I'm not mistaken (and this is why I'm asking because I'm not sure): that my PSU lists 4+4 is that for extra CPU power? Or something else. Or am I just being way too confusing?

usually you can ply the cpu connector in both to have two 4 pins cpu power connector...
check if they are brokable in 2 ..maybe not
take care to do not broke something ...its suppose to separate easily

if not , ...better to change the psu ...anyway this psu did not have a good voltage regulation

corbmonster

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Not sure where you're getting this from. It has great reviews. And I've been using it flawlessly for years.

corbmonster

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
And for the record, the 4+4 pin power was meant for the CPU power. So it would work. I think the only question remaining is should I retire the PSU, or keep it till it dies?

Keep it in the system its in mate - but I'd be very wary of using it in a new build.
Look at the johhnyguru review & his test model exploded 30 minutes into testing when the ocp protection failed!!
Be happy you've had 8 years of service & stump up for all new parts is my advice.
As stated above caps & coils deteriorate with age - not worth the risk when $60-70 buys you a shiny new bronze or even gold rated model.