What to upgrade? ~£300 Budget

Shambola

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hi guys,

Looking to upgrade my system so I can finally get off the Xbox and start gaming on the PC. Looking to play games such as Battlefield 3, TES: Skyrim, Borderlands 2, GTA 4, Hawx 2, and probably many others when I get around to reading reviews. Playing at 1080p with setting at max, or as high as possible.

My current config. is;

i5 760 (un-overclocked)
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 Cooler
4 GB generic RAM
Asus P7P55D Evo motherboard
9500GT 512MB graphics card
OCZ ModXstream-Pro 600W PSU
2 x Seagate 320GB + 1TB WD hard drives
Random DVD re-writer
LG Flatron W2261VP 1080p monitor
Crappy keyboard and even crappier mouse

Obviously the first thing to buy would be a new graphics card, was thinking a 7950? Either a XFX Double D version for ~£240 or a Twin Frozr II for ~£250. Not too sure on how these specific editions of the card perform but I like the looks of them both.

Would this card be a bottleneck with the un-overclocked 760? I am willing to overclock it but have never done, if someone could provide a good guide it'd be much appreciated.

I was also thinking a cheap SSD to use for Windows and a couple of games, not really looked into these so am looking for a few suggestions.

Also looking for a decent gaming keyboard and mouse. Really love the R.A.T 7 Contagion edition, but I'm sure someone could suggest me both a keyboard and mouse for around the same price as that mouse alone.

Without saying "Upgrade to 1155" which is out of the question at the moment, what other upgrades would be worthwhile?

Many thanks ;)

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

An i5 760 wouldn't be a bottleneck with a 7950. If you overclock the cpu you will improve the framerate, so it will make sense to overclock that 760 of yours.

Here is the 7950 I would recommend for you.

XFX Double D FX-795A-TDJC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616

An ssd would improve the performance of your entire system, but with games all it does is make them load faster than a standard HDD.