Are "iBuyPower" PCs good ?

fatalsmile

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Hi Everyone, I am looking at iBuyPower's Black Friday deals on its official site and it looks some models are somehow cheap with pretty good components. Like I7 4790k + Asus Z97 + EVGA 970 + 16G G skill Mem + optional SSD = $1259.

Does anyone know if this is good to buy? I am not sure if this brand of PCs are good in quality.
Thanks a lot.

_nerve

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
I've heard some good things about them, no personal experience with them though.

That seems like a pretty good combo, the PSU is probably sucky though.

fatalsmile

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I have the same concern so I checked it, they have corsair CX 500/600 power supply as options. Is this a good brand? thank you.

in relative terms, they are not good power supplies. they are not bad power supplies, but a few more bucks can get you much more reliable units. this goes for the rest of their parts that make up their computers. they find great ways to get budget power supplies, motherboards, ram, and hard drives in bulk. i dont know anything about their cases, they usually look completely one off; to show case their "brand". the cpus and gpus that they use on the other hand are fine.

that deal does seem competitive... but their not going to be able to match the level of quality parts like a custom build... or beat the prices...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($334.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.43 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1230.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 03:45 EST-0500

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
ibuypower is a fairly good brand, they do cheap out in some areas I think just to attract people more to their product with things like the i7 etc... But if you don't plan on buying a new one in say 3+ years I think buying pre-built is a pretty good thing to go with. Just make sure you get a damage warranty, if anything breaks, they need to fix it for free, just don't get sucked into the tech support/blah blah blah. that is where they get you. A lot of people who build now just started out with buying a pc from one of the gaming pc sites, then started slowing upgrading it themselves. You will notice yourself getting more comfortable over time by doing this, by the time you are ready for your next pc you will already have a good foundation to work off of. Imo buying it from places like this just means I want something that works, and if anything breaks I want them to deal with it.

fatalsmile

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

thanks a lot for the detailed answer xD

_nerve

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014

That build looks oddly familiar :)

G

Buyer beware is I buy power a good company asked the Better Business Bureau as well as many reviews they say no. You be the judge of this do the research and ask yourself is this a good company too many complaints too many problems . I buy power will tell you they have positive reviews all I can say is if you look at it closely it is not good.

they have an ( F ) very poor failure, F rating for the Better Business Bureau, here is the link you can see it yourself, http://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-rev...

BBB.org Business Review • Overview • Complaints • Customer Reviews THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED iBuyPower.com On a scale of A+ to F 529 Baldwin Park Blvd City of Industry, CA 91746-1419 130 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 30 closed in last 12 months Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints Advertising / Sales Issues 6 Delivery Issues 8 Guarantee / Warranty Issues 13 Problems with Product / Service 103 Billing / Collection Issues 0 Total Closed 130

We recommend not buying a computer for Ibuypower, there is a lot of other companies out there with way less complaints and better reviews you be the judge of it for yourself .