Monitors losing signal, GPU fans speed up and the computer crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gino Sullivan

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
The other day I got a new desk which required me to unplug everything and set everything back up again, before this, I was able to run any game I had, except those which didn't support it, on 5760x1080 eyefinity on medium/high graphics.

After safety turning off my computer then setting everything back up again, I'll try to play any game, the game will launch, but when I go to a match, the monitors will lose signal, Alt+F4 won't do anything, and I'll try to use the restart button on my PC, it'll work maybe half the time, the other half I have to hold down the power button.

After 3 times of this happening, my PC did a disk check for consistency, there were no errors, and when the PC starts up again, everything is working fine until it needs to use the GPU really more than 15%. I can't even play a YouTube video in 1080 without it crashing.

I've tried to reinstall certain games, make sure everything in the files was okay, but it is every single game that fails, it can't even handle launching a Garry's Mod match.

I've tried reinstalling the GPU drivers, no success there either, so I left my computer overnight and checked it in the morning, because generally I never turn off my PC except for restarting due to updates 2-4 times a month so even though it makes so sense, I thought maybe letting it sit for 8 hours might do something, sure enough, didn't work, didn't really expect it to.

I've seen other threads it might be the PSU not being able to power the GPU anymore, or some threads have said it's the GPU crashing and I'm not sure which it is, what would you think would be the best thing I could do to test it out?

My specs are:
i5 3470 @ 3.8
Sapphire HD 7950 3GB (not overclocked)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB

Solution
Check your connections for all the components - also, reseat your graphics card. Double check your BIOS settings.

Sometimes when you move a computer, things can shift slightly - you might want to check your motherboard is secure to the case (I would suggest loosening all of the screws a bit, and make sure it is seated in the proper position, then tighten the screws (don't torque too hard)).

A loose connection and/or a card that isn't seated properly can create issues.

Hopefully this resolves the problem....
Check your connections for all the components - also, reseat your graphics card. Double check your BIOS settings.

Sometimes when you move a computer, things can shift slightly - you might want to check your motherboard is secure to the case (I would suggest loosening all of the screws a bit, and make sure it is seated in the proper position, then tighten the screws (don't torque too hard)).

A loose connection and/or a card that isn't seated properly can create issues.

Hopefully this resolves the problem....

Solution

Gino Sullivan

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

This worked, took it out, put it in the other slot on the motherboard, and was able to launch any game without issue, thank you so much!

gino3298

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
So after reseating it, it did work for a while, no problem, then the problem began to occur again, I tried reseating it, moving it to a different slot, everything is still crashing. Hell earlier, as in 15 minutes ago, I had one monitor plugged into the GPU, just browsing on a website, and after 30 minutes of use, didn't even play any videos, the monitor that was plugged into the GPU lost signal, I had one plugged into the motherboard. I could move the mouse but couldn't click on anything, couldn't Ctrl+Alt+Del, and then the mouse stopped working as well, it was weird, like a slow freeze. Which component do you think might be the issue?

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
This is a known driver issue with AMD. Try underclocking your gpu or get 14.9/14.12 driver from Sapphire's website. Me and a lot of people have issues like yours so try the driver I suggested and tell me if it fixes yours. Just a heads up, this may not work for you but if it does, the black screens only happens rarely. I know it sucks but it's something.. :/

Adam Reese

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Please do not underclock your gpu. You need to take the cover off of the graphics card and clean out the dust between the fan and the heatsink. I imagine moving originally knocked some of the dust around and so did reseating it for a temporary fix. This is the most common issue I have found with your issue. If this does not solve the issue repost and I will try to offer additional advice. But to me it sounds like gpu is overheating and shutting off the signal to the monitor to prevent overheating and the fan will still be spinning after signal loss to continue cooling.

Gino Sullivan

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

I'll download the specified driver and I will update you on what happens.

Gino Sullivan

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

I feel silly for not thinking of the dust idea, especially considering it was only doing it at first when I had 3 monitors running a game at once, probably over heated it a bit, still weird that it can't even work now but I'll clean it out and let you know what happens.

Edit, dusting it worked, must of been pretty bad.

Hemen_

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

You are a genius. I had the the same issue especially when my graphics card(AMD Radeon 6950HD) is under heavy load. Opened up the card and found the dust accumulated near fan and cooling heatsink.No Airflow .... Thanks a bunch, you saved me a couple of dollars. I believe this is the best solution.

Dec 12, 2021
Now here I am having this exact same issue with a msi 3080 ventus x3 oc I got a prebuilt from cyber power and dropped 3k to build this thing and not 2 months after I got it this has been happening now the issue is very random sometimes I can go days without it happening then other days it will happen back to back. I've tried taking it out and putting it back in I've tired switching the PCI plugs Idk what the heck to do

Status
Not open for further replies.