GTX 770 dual monitor display (DVI to DP issue)

TheDeceived

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Hi all,

I've got a GTX 770 and have been using it with a single monitor display for around a year and a half. The single monitor was connected via DVI from the card to HDMI in the monitor. All worked fine.

I've now upgraded to a dual monitor set up with two Acer 27" G Sync monitors. Both monitors come with a DP to DP cable but my GTX 770 only has one DP port. Therefore, I've bought this DP to DVI cable to hook up my second monitor.

So overall:

• I have my main display hooked via DP to DP
    I have my secondary display hooked up via DVI to DP
However, the secondary monitor is reporting no signal when connected in the set up above. I've tried:

• Only having the DVI to DP cable connected on boot up/after boot up
    Having both monitors connected before/after boot up
    Connected both monitors individually using the DP to DP cable (to confirm both monitors work and they do)
Any ideas why it's not working? Have I bought the wrong DVI to DP cable?

Solution
Displayport (GPU) to DVI (monitor) works fine with an active or passive adapter. To go from DVI (GPU) to Displayport (Monitor), you must have an active adapter.

Active adapters are ONE WAY conversions - meaning you have to get a DVI to Displayport adapter, not Displayport to DVI....I tried Googling DVI to Displayport and all I am finding is Displayport to DVI....

You may have to either buy a Displayport hub (http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MSTMDP123DP-DisplayPort-Triple-Monitor/dp/B00JLRBC7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417123328&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+mst+hub) or purchase a new GPU with multiple Displayport connections.
Displayport (GPU) to DVI (monitor) works fine with an active or passive adapter. To go from DVI (GPU) to Displayport (Monitor), you must have an active adapter.

Active adapters are ONE WAY conversions - meaning you have to get a DVI to Displayport adapter, not Displayport to DVI....I tried Googling DVI to Displayport and all I am finding is Displayport to DVI....

You may have to either buy a Displayport hub (http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MSTMDP123DP-DisplayPort-Triple-Monitor/dp/B00JLRBC7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417123328&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+mst+hub) or purchase a new GPU with multiple Displayport connections.

Solution

That DisplayPort Converter should definitely work.

The adapter pictured is for use when you have a displayport on your GPU, and you want to plug in a monitor that has DVI only. They don't work in reverse.

If you find one that is specifically a DVI to DisplayPort active adapter, that may work. Notice that the link states DisplayPort to DVI.....

TheDeceived

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Does it not work in reverse ronintexas? As in plug the DisplayPort end into the monitor and then run a DVI to DVI cable from the GPU to the converter pligged into the monitor?

From all the descriptions I have read on these passive and active adapters, the active adapters are needed, and the have a DAC (digital to analog converter) to take a Displayport signal from the GPU and create an analog signal that a DVI monitor can understand. If you dive into the description, they all basically say that it is for plugging into the displayport of the GPU to a DVI monitor, none of them state the other way around.