4K Monitor Resolution Help

Nov 5, 2014
I'm looking to buy a 4K monitor but I'm wondering if I can change the resolution to lower when I want to.
Example: Gaming at 4K takes a HUGE amount of power, and say for good performance can I temporarily change my whole monitor to a lower resolution (like 1440p or 1080p)?

Solution
On a few games Ive tried it does, and a few it doesn't. The Sims 4 cuts off the edges at 1440p, but Watch Dogs does not. Which monitor did you upgrade too? Im really enjoying this one.

-Lone-

Admirable
You might encounter some problems with it if it will do what my TV does. If you go above 4096 x 2160 or lower than 3840 x 2160, the edges of your display may be cut off. Like if you have a picture frame and you have a picture that is too big for the frame, you can only see what is inside the frame and not under or outside the frame. I hope you understand my example. But that's what happens on my TV, I'm not sure if that happens on a monitor, I used to have an UHD, but I have always stayed with 4k, so I don't have the answer for the monitor. Hope that helped though :)

Nov 5, 2014
Ok, I found a monitor that's 4K and it's cheaper than a 1440p display ironically. I wanted to buy the 4K since it's cheaper and use it in 1440p resolution on a daily basis without altering any hardware. I don't want the picture to cut off either... Should I buy it?

-Lone-

Admirable
I don't know, we'll have to get someone with an UHD monitor in here, lol. But I have a TV, so I'm not sure if it will apply to you also, the edges are cut off by about an inch. Kinda bad if I can't see the X on the top right corner of applications to close them. That's why I stick in 3840 x 2160 resolution like it was meant to be.

Nov 5, 2014

Ok, meanwhile is there any good/high-preforming 1440p G-Sync monitors? The one I found has major heat and pixel issues.

-Lone-

Admirable

It's been a while since I have searched for monitors, but I'll try, if any other Asus monitor experts are out there, please go ahead with your suggestions :)

Nov 5, 2014

I would love it but it doesn't have G-Sync, thanks!
You've been very helpful!

-Lone-

Admirable

Yeah, I was looking at the other one that had the Gsync, oops :)

But it was over $1000, so I didn't think you'd want to pay $1000 for a monitor, lol

phatazzbp

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hello friend. I recently purchased the Samsung UD590 4k monitor. Yes you most certainly can go to a lower resolution for games, and so far it looks beautiful. I have a GTX 970 so I run my desktop in 4k as well as some less demanding games in 4k with no issues. (League of Legends, Tales from the Borderlands, The Sims 4 etc) For games like watch dogs I just bump it down to 1440p on Ultra settings and it definitely still looks beautiful. I definitely recommend the 4k monitor if you can get it for a good price. The monitor I bought right now is 459 on Newegg for the Black Friday sale.

-Lone-

Admirable

Yeah, I had that monitor before, it was my 1st UHD experience. But I just can't remember if it cut off the edges or not if I went to a lower resolution, or a higher resolution than 3840 x 2160.

phatazzbp

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
On a few games Ive tried it does, and a few it doesn't. The Sims 4 cuts off the edges at 1440p, but Watch Dogs does not. Which monitor did you upgrade too? Im really enjoying this one.

Solution
Nov 5, 2014

Not sure if you're talking to me but I'm not upgrading from anything I'm building an entirely new rig.
Thanks by the way!

-Lone-

Admirable

I upgraded to a TV instead, I wanted the ability to watch movies with UHD upscaling and 3D, a smaller screen wouldn't have been very...movie like, lol. And I don't think monitors have UHD upscaling atm, but I'm not sure.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-58AX800U

Edit: And I chose this TV because it was the only existing UHD TV with a display port, and my GPU only has mini display ports, no HDMI. Or I would've gone with a Samsung curved UHD TV instead.

phatazzbp

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Whoaaaa nice TV bud. Can I borrow 2 thousand dollars to get one? Im good for it!

-Lone-

Admirable

lol