Is there a way to find out exactly how much CPU power a given program uses, BY ITSELF?

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

I would like to know exactly how much processing power my openvpn client is using when I'm utilizing my full bandwidth through openvpn, so I will be able to know if a new ddwrt router I've had my eye on can handle it if I move the client to said dd-wrt router.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: task manager just doesn't do the job. unless of course there are things I don't know about task manager.

thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It depends how accurate you need to be. You could get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU
Plug your system in to it and set it to display WATTS. Check the wattage before you start the program and again after it is loaded and running. Granted, it will display the primary (AC) wattage, not the secondary (DC) side. But it will be close. The AC side will always read slightly higher than the DC side due to power factor loss. But it'll be close.

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry but I meant CPU power as in Processing Power, not electricity consumption.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Watts is power. If your system is consuming X watts at idle, and it jumps to X+Y watts when the pgm is running, the program is adding Y watts extra. But if that's not what you really want, then I'm not sure how to do it.