Need Help with Modular PSU

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
My last PSU (a corsair TX) died about 2 weeks ago and they shipped me a replacement RM series (both 650W). I'm having trouble getting my computer back up and running, I'm hoping that when the last PSU died it didn't somehow fry my mobo or something.

Anyway, the main issue I'm facing is I'm not sure if they sent me all the correct cables.

I saw a thread on here which I can't find at the moment, about modular PSU's saying the one for the CPU spot (mine is a 4 pin) has to be labeled CPU or something. Aside from the 24 pin connector all I have is 6+2's to plug in either labeled 'Type 3' or 'PCI E' and one 8 pin.

There was nothing to plug into the CPU socket, unless I'm totally blind. The only 8 pin connector which is not a 4+4 even though there's a spot labeled for it on the actual PSU. This row has 3 spots for 8 pin connectors to go in labeled '6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU' .

I went to Fry's Electronics and picked up a 4 pin for my PSU which I had to plug into the only 8 pin connector, the end of which split into two Type 3 6+2's.

The first time I tried to turn it on the case fans and the CPU fan turned on for about two seconds but that's it and I don't want to keep trying to power it on if I've done something incorrectly.

p.s. I know little about psu's (obviously) but in case anyone is wondering how the old psu died I'm guessing it popped some sort of gas/coolant fuse. Some light gaseous smell started coming from it one night, and as I went to turn it off there was a short deflating sound. My PC didn't turn off but afterwards but I quickly powered it off. After taking the case panel off I was pretty sure it came from the PSU, although it wasn't burning hot or anything and the tech support team from corsair said it was from the psu.

I greatly appreciate anyone's help with this.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure the 8 pin CPU power cable doesn't split into 2 x 4 pin cables? I've never seen one that didn't. Look along the thumb lever and see if there isn't a fine split line there.

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

It's completely flush all around, I've spent so long looking at this thing.

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
The "B" one has no slits, it absolutely does not split into a 4+4. But I still got a 4 pin cable for the CPU, does it have to be a specific kind? I can't remember if I told the guy at Fry's it was for my CPU or if I just told him I needed a 4 pin cable.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it fits the keyed header, it's the right one. Don't force it. It should have a pair of black on one side and a pair of colored wires (usually yellow) on the other side.

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
If I put the B side into the PSU then I need an 8 pin to go to the connector piece for the 4pin I bought. On the 6+2 the 2 pin isn't shaped correctly to fit into the connector. I think they forgot to send me all the cables, but I'm just really confused to be honest, on my last non-modular psu everything was very simple to connect to the motherboard sockets.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The 6 + 2 connectors are for the gfx card. They won't fit and should not be used for the CPU.

Does the 8 pin side FIT the power supply header?

Can you post a pic of both ends of the 8 pin cable in question?

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
The 4 pin definitely fits the CPU pin hole, I'm not sure what to plug it into.

The one I bought was an 8 pin I just split apart, but for the other side of it that doesn't split, I can only put 6 pins into it from a PCI-E 6+2, will it power from that?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The cables marked PCIe go to the gfx card. The other end of those cables plug into matching headers on the PSU.
I can't tell if the 8 pin cable is the the CPU cable for an 8 pin CPU header or an end that plugs into the PSU. Does it fit any of the 8 pin PSU headers?

I am beginning to think maybe you didn't get this PSU with the cables, and someone tried to sell you cables separately from another PSU that may or may not be wired correctly for that PSU. Who's this "they" that shipped you the PSU and the cables?

These are the cables that should come with the Corsair RM 650W PSU:
at91UB9.jpg

4eShZkW.jpg

Don't you have a manual for the PSU?

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Corsair sent me this PSU to replace my last one I had a warranty on still. The 8 pin fits into the the actual PSU slot, and I didn't get a manual with it. I tried looking it up on their website but I couldn't find one, and the manual for my motherboard isn't very in depth.

That's what all my cables look like, except I don't have the one just one spot above the lower most-right cable, the one with a clear head or the cable labeled CPU near the middle. Should I just open a new ticket at Corsair saying they didn't send me all the correct cables?

Edit: I found the manual for it on their site and I'm opening a ticket to hopefully have the missing cables sent to me.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, if they didn't send you the cables you need. The one marked CPU is the 4+4 cable you seem to be missing.

One way to help ease confusion, would be to plug all the cables into their respective headers on the PSU. That way you won't keep mixing up the ends. You'll only have one end of each cable to figure out.

That was the first place I went; to the website... to get a manual. Corsair seems to have forgotten to post one. But if you plug all the cables in like I mentioned above, it will make it easier to figure out. You can even mark them yourself for extra clarity. The labels on the PSU will then tell you which cable is for what:
LKr3qMw.jpg