Best 21"-24" <$300 Gaming Monitor?

RADD1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on the best gaming monitor available for about $300 or less, nothing larger than 24", nothing smaller than 21". I will be using it almost exclusively for gaming, mostly in MMOs. Though I do enjoy FPS, I don't play them competitively or regularly. As such, I was considering one of the following two IPS monitors for their superior image quality over TN, even though they have a ~5ms response time. From what I've read, anything over 60hz is wasted unless you're playing professionally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWH00K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS24AH-P-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00CIZZ0QO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417284198&sr=1-1&keywords=vs24ah

Thoughts on those monitors, better alternatives, or reasons why I should actually go with a TN panel would be greatly appreciated! :)

RADD1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013

Thanks for your reply; could you please elaborate as to why you would pick this one over the VS24AH or any other monitor in this range?

RADD1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013

I had not even seen this monitor when browsing options online. It has a very low response time, but is not IPS; my research indicated this would be a great monitor for competitive FPS play, but for the best image quality, IPS is the way to go... Is this not the case?

Thaisnang

Honorable

Low response time is not just for FPS. But IPS panels do give sharp colors than TN panels. In my opinion when it comes to gaming monitors it is either 144Hz monitor or IPS panel. But I would consider IPS panels only if I don't have the funds for a 144hz monitor. You should go to a store and see if you like the IPS's color or TN's fluid and smoother gameplay. Personally I prefer 144hz over IPS but I don't have the funds nor the hardware to push it. So I use an IPS. You do have the funds to get a 144Hz but if you don't have the hardware then 144hz won't be much useful. But if you have the hardware too 144Hz would be the best choice.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Of the ones you mentioned, the Asus PA248Q is the better monitor, but it still probably has PWM (pulse width modulation) on it, which causes flickering and eye strain. Don't worry about response time, anything up to and including an 8ms time is still great; the more important stat is input lag for monitors. For example the IPS Dell U2414H monitor is one of the most beautiful monitors around, has excellent color accuracy and an 8ms response time (and no PWM). If you are not a hardcore FPS gamer this is the monitor I'd recommend to everyone!

If you want 24" monitors with the lowest input lag though, BenQ's XL2430T is a tremendously fast monitor, as is the RL2455HM and RL2460HT. The XL will be more expensive ($370) because it's refresh rate is 144hz, however this causes the color to look pretty washed out and gets it gets pretty dim unless you're looking at it from the correct angle. The other two models are between $180-200, and all have a 1ms response time. They all also have a 10ms input lag, which is about as low as input lag can get (the Asus PA248Q has 28ms input lag). None of these monitors use PWM either. The 2460 has built-in speakers and a displayport connector, otherwise it's identical to the 2455. Those are the two I'd recommend to you if you want a super-responsive monitor.

J