I'm spending a few thousand dollars building a battlestation. Please take a look and let me know what you think! CC welcome.

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($366.94 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($185.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($198.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($334.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($334.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($16.95 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($398.99 @ NCIX US)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2822.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 20:03 EST-0500

-Lone-

Admirable

I think it is a pretty solid system for gaming, maybe except for the case, I prefer more front, side, and bottom fans for intake than have more on out take.

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Well, my main thing is I REEEAAAALLYYYY want an orange case. It's absolutely critical. I've spent a good deal of time hunting down a keyboard with an orange backlight, too.

-Lone-

Admirable

lol, the case has LEDs outlingin the top and front part of the case and always LEDs on top inside the case to shine down the lights, you can choose any color you want :)

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Oh is that so? I'll look into that. Any thoughts on the keyboard, by the way? The only one I've found that looks good is out of stock.

-Lone-

Admirable

On the cover page, you can see the LED outline there on the top half of the front, it extends about the same length on the top of the case. As for the inside of the case, the line of LEDs are like on the top next to the radiator if you are going to use like a 240/280mm liquid cooling, they face down and sines the light to all of the parts inside. You can turn the colors by turning that circle on the 6th picture in the gallery. I set my lights to green while I have all blue LED fans, my GPU shines bright red lights and they shine up my PSU to like purple, lol. When you look at the back of my case, there's like multiple colors, lit up like a christmas tree :D There's also white LEDs on the back where all the connectors are, like USBs, Ethernet, audio, etc... I guess those LEDs are just for if you need to see in the dark and you don't feel like turning on your room lights, lol. But for the keyboard, I am currently using the Logitech 510s, and the Razer Naga Epic mouse, because the keyboard can also change to any color, my mouse just continuously change colors. I just love all the lights :) But I'm also in the process of looking for new keyboard and mouse too, mine is kinda old, but still working.

Edit: Oops, forgot to give you the link to the case, lol.

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/96-phantom-820-full-tower-caes.html

more performance here for sli configuration
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6k66mG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6k66mG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($544.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($123.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($185.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($232.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.42 @ OutletPC)
Headphones: Sennheiser PC333D 7.1 Channel Headset ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3253.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 22:16 EST-0500

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
badboyrog2, looks like you added a couple more expensive parts, but I have some questions.

CPU: I was specifically recommended to downgrade, as the 5820K is MUCH cheaper, but not really much of a downgrade.
Cooling: I've been also told that liquid cooling is a bit overkill, and, again, that's a lot more expensive.
Memory: I don't see much of a difference in the specs, except for the CAS. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, I'd love some more information. Are there any other reasons you prefer that one?
PSU: Any reasons for preferring that one? I'll admit I know little about them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

-Lone-

Admirable

Case: I'd stick with the case I showed you since you care about orange so much :p
Cooling: I like maximum cooling than not cool enough and have to do it again later :)
PSU: That PSU is very good for it's price :)
And what did you think about the case and all the orange? lol

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Cooling: Will the liquid cooling be more complicated to set up? That's what I seem to have gathered. Remember, I am very much a noob.
PSU: The only worry I have is the wattage. Too much is dangerous, is it not? I honestly have no idea what kind of wattage I will need.
Orange: Honestly, I know nothing about LEDs, but I will almost certainly want to go down that route. I was originally thinking too many lights would be annoying, but I've changed my mind about that. Those fans look amazing!

-Lone-

Admirable

Cooling: all you got to do is screw the fans on, screw on the radiator, put the cooling on the cpu, screw it on, all done, lol.
PSU, This PSU has unbeatable 10 year warranty, like other supernovas, but if you worry about power, it has lots of protection. Like over charge, under voltage, that sort of protection. And isn't it better to have more than not enough? Better than having to get a new one later and plug everything all over again :)

LEDs are awesome, I can't have a single fan in my case without LEDs :D

-Lone-

Admirable

I got these fans, they're built into them, coolest lights I've seen, great performance and low noise too :)

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/jetflo-120-blue/

-Lone-

Admirable

If you're talking about the jetflo that we just talked about, it doesn't come with the case, I bought them separately and replaced all of my NZXT cooling systems with cooler master.

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Oh, I know it doesn't come with the case, I just know very little about cooling. I just meant, are these fans separate from the main cooling system, or are they a part of it, directly? Like, would I buy the fans in ADDITION to the NZXT Kraken X61, as a completely separate component?

-Lone-

Admirable

Well, if you really want to, I did, with my cooler master Nepton 280L liquid cooling, they came with 2x jetflo fans, but they had no LEDs, so I removed them and got the LED version, lol.

-Lone-

Admirable
If you find some orange LED fans that has better performance than the fans that came with the case and cooler, I'd say get them and add some more personal touch to your case :D

Edit: It may be a few extra bucks, but it makes your case look good, right? :)

Chokfullofnuts

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Oh, of course. Looking good is what this is all about, right?

Hey, thanks for your help, man, I really appreciate it. You're awesome.