WiFi suddenly much slower than before

Tacobite

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
So a week ago, My power to my room was cut. Only my room so the only device disconnected was 1 PC at the time.

An hour later I turned it back on and it had a drop in DL and UL Speed. I experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago, Power turned off. slow internet but it recovered after 2 days.

I didn't do anything to my computer such as install new drivers/programs. So i don't think it's on the computer end. My phone experiences the same problem and mirrors my computer, Although other devices don't seem affected (Sisters computer has about 2MB/s and 300KB/s upload) even though we're the same distance from the router.

3925215948.png

Image above: My usual internet speed November 21st and before

3947128245.png

My internet speed since November 22nd

Something I notice during speedtests is during the download phase. Within the first second of the test it jumps to the usual speed (1.1 MBs) then quickly dips down to 500 KB/s. Is this normal?

Keep in mind I'm not the admin of the internet in my home so I can't tamper with the router/modem firmware. Is it possible that the power outage caused problems with my WiFi? Is there an option to restrict one specific device's bandwidth (Using DD-WRT)? Or should I wait a bit till the internet cycle resets.

ISP: Distributel Communications
Specifications:

Router Model: Linksys WRT310N

Computer:
Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LX PLUS
Processor : Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3300 MHz
Power Supply: XFX 550W

WiFi adapter: N900 Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter TEW-684UB

Your speeds are half of what they are. I would be concerned that when your power went out, that something was damaged with the surge or spike of power when it went off, or back on. Ideally, you would want to measure the speeds with a device directly connected via a wire at the modem. That your sister's speeds are the same leads me to believe it is more likely to be your machine only.

Can you try swapping out your wifi adapter and try another to see if that improves it?

Tacobite

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Alright, But some devices have been janky like mine. My phone has the same speeds as my comp, same as the tablet that I don't use. My mom's computer has about 200 KB/s download but good upload (230 KB/s)