XFX R9 290X 3 Monitor issues

MAVE2ICK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi guys,

I am having an issue as I see many are, with running 3 monitors on the r9 290X card. First I'll lay down my Specs, then the troubleshooting steps I have taken so far:

GPU: XFX r9 290X
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Memory: 16 GB G-Skill Trident (at stock speed of 1600 for troubleshooting)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Formula V
HD - SSD Samsung Evo/Kingston Hyper-V/HDD - 1 TB Seagate
Monitors: 3 X Asus 25" VE258Q
Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012
Keyboard: Logitech G-19
PSU: XFX 1250 Watt Plat. rated

So for years now I've been running these monitors in Eyefinity mode on my old XFX- 7970 card w/ 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and one HDMI cable to DVI then an Active adapter to HDMI Mini Display. Some games I get some crappy frames with the 5760x1080 resolution so I upgraded to the r9 290x.

Reviewed showed (including Tom's hardware) that you can run 3 monitors with 2xDVI/1xHDMI. I have not been able to make that work. (remember I am using 1 HDMI to DVI cable for one of my connections but i dont think that should make a difference <-- If it does, let me know because i will need to do a lot of shifting around to troubleshoot that as i dont have any DVI cables long enough to reach the tower)

I've tried plugging it in as the review says, then the HDMI won't recognize only the 2 DVI.

I tried plugging a DVI into the monitor that was using HDMI, I used a DVI to Display port converter and plugged it in. At first it worked - but after reboot I have been stuck plugging, unplugging rebooted, resetting bios...anything i can think of...and no dice....I guess what I am asking is, has anyone else had this issue (or one similar). I'm sure the problem is staring me in the face, but the frustration of shelling out a lot of cash for something not working is probably blinding me.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Solution
I have a sapphire r9 290 running 3 monitors, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. No issues, it recognized it immediately and when eyefinity is enabled it works at it should. Recommend you do 2 dvis and one hdmi. Gl

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
This video will explain it better than I can, hope it helps, let me know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw

It is a bit dated, but will still apply. Pay attention when it talks about passive ports and all that jazz.

But basically, it you need certain plugs to make eyefinity work.

I for example, running an 7850, have HDMI, active mini-thunderbolt to DVI, and a VGA. The one active connection is important.

MAVE2ICK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So, I understand how it works with the legacy cards, however with the r9 290x cards you are supposed to be able to use 2x DVI and 1x HDMI without the need of an active dongle/adapter.

Thanks for the vid though!!!

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Oh my bad, wasn't aware. Thanks for letting me know if that works or not.

Does the standard windows drivers detect all three for multiple displays?

MAVE2ICK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
currently the windows drivers are not, it did for a short while (until a reboot), which is making me really scratch my head... also another cool feature they introduced is bridge less crossfire with this series.

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Yeah, I knew that about the crossfire :D

Hmm, that is quite perplexing. I hope your PCB is not faulty. Might want to check it? Also, if you have a warranty still, take advantage while you still can.

The card has 2x DVI, HDMI and a Displayport right? Try using the display port if you are that desperate?

MAVE2ICK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Thats the next step I am trying, just bought an active DVI -> DP dongle on Amazon, should be here on Tuesday. My other adapter is DVI to mini DP, which they got rid of in this series of cards...

Ill let you know how it turns out. Worst case scenario, Amazon has a GREAT DOA policy so I'll have another one soon.

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Goodluck, that would be a bummer if it didn't.

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
I have a sapphire r9 290 running 3 monitors, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. No issues, it recognized it immediately and when eyefinity is enabled it works at it should. Recommend you do 2 dvis and one hdmi. Gl

Solution