How often should you clean your PC Tower?

Crypto6

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Just curious how often you should clean your PC tower so the dust doesn't kill it. Also, some people recommend compressed air (vertically up and not at an angle), and some brushes- would you agree?

Solution
Use what works for you, at the times it makes sense for you to do it. Some people clean excessively, which keeps their components running better, and some don't clean at all, which keeps their computer a fire hazard.

Monitor your case by taking the side off and looking in about once every week. If you see a dust build up get rid of it.

Most people are happy with compressed air, which knocks the big bits of dust up and out onto the floor where a vacuum can get to them. Some use brushes and a vacuum for the same effect, just without filling the air with smoke. People worry about static discharge of vacuums however, and I wouldn't jam the head of one against my motherboard. Plus I'm lazy.

Long story short -- You should clean your PC...

Lucias OKeefe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Use what works for you, at the times it makes sense for you to do it. Some people clean excessively, which keeps their components running better, and some don't clean at all, which keeps their computer a fire hazard.

Monitor your case by taking the side off and looking in about once every week. If you see a dust build up get rid of it.

Most people are happy with compressed air, which knocks the big bits of dust up and out onto the floor where a vacuum can get to them. Some use brushes and a vacuum for the same effect, just without filling the air with smoke. People worry about static discharge of vacuums however, and I wouldn't jam the head of one against my motherboard. Plus I'm lazy.

Long story short -- You should clean your PC case when it's dusty. Brushes and compressed air should be on hand during the process and have a vacuum for clean up anyway. Compressed air will do it's thing no matter the angle, but avoid using it on a computer that hasn't had a chance to cool down, and avoid using it to the point the air becomes too cold. Some people have an actual air compressor handy to use, but larger ones could just as easily blow components off the motherboard as they could dust so always be a little gentle.

If you have a higher pressure inside your case it will force air OUTWARDS through the cracks in your case rather than suck more air in. Good cooling is important and can make cleaning less of a big job, after a longer time. All intakes should have filters if dust worries you, and the computer should be off of the floor as well.

Not sure any of that helped.

Solution